All-in-one democratic go game (how-to)

Sure. I hope that my intent are as most as possible clear, I don’t even know how it will evolve, and I will be happy as long as people have fun and stay playing.

I said I’d like to see for example how long players can play both colors and I was fine if some team emerge chosing one color or the other

2 Likes

To come back on the time factor, during the first poll after 24hr we had only half of the votes, and a substantial amount came in the last hours.
It’s my first experience in a kind of team game here but my guess is that we could go a bit quicker later with sequences (and the speed vote procedure I tried to formulate).

Ultimately, there is no perfect voting system, especially in the case where there are more than two choices being considered. There are tradeoffs that one has to make when designing a system. However, these decisions could benefit or disrupt the interests of certain factions. Hence, if the players become significantly invested in this game, they might find it in their interest to lobby for and influence changes in the voting system itself. Further, if there is just one person ultimately in charge of deciding upon the system, they really hold a significant amount of power in potentially influencing how the game develops.

None of these concerns are meant to detract from your game, but rather to point the possible nuances of it. Imagine the intrigue if one had to declare that a particular poll was invalid due to interference.

I think all of this is a great social experiment and experience. Thank you for organizing this “game”.

4 Likes

Maybe it would make sense to have a “Go Variants” category.

6 Likes

What time for closing the polls would be the best

• Less, precise
  • 24 + we
  • 36 + we
  • 48 (set)
  • 48 + we
  • 60 + we
  • more, precise

0 voters

what is “+ we”?

Weekend, I guess?

I was assuming “plus whatever”, meaning that if the poll stayed open a bit longer, no big deal.

Sorry I thought it was known we is weekend

Since timeout is not an issue, I think think 24 is best. It gives everyone a chance to be online, but moves the game quickly. Personally speaking, if I miss participating in a move I am not going to be devastated—this is a lighthearted game, right?

6 Likes

what “+ weekend” means?

It means weekend don’t count so if a poll start Friday 20h with 48+we It will close on Tuesday 20hr

Why weekend should not count? When there is no work, you have more time for this game.

3 Likes

Well it’s an option in correspondence games I guess it’s because some players prefer to keep playing on week days and do something else on weekends. (Not me)

2 Likes

I’d like to go a bit quicker if players can follow the speed. Now we had a 18th vote in the last hours of the poll (it stayed with 17 a long time) so I don’t want to exclude players too. I’m perplexed.
Besides @Conrad_Melville has a good point that the game may be a bit more light-hearted.
I didn’t make any decision yet, waiting for more answers from the poll (as always there are 50/50 alala… Maybe we’ll opt for the middle 36 so to make everyone happy??)
Anyway I kept the 48 for the today’s poll.

1 Like

more than half voted for 24 hours

1 Like

That’s true. I was waiting to get more and less as many voters here as in the game polls, still 17 in the last one.

So let’s go for 24hrs polls after that one for black 4.

By the way nice initiative that someone made the poll finally.
We still have to test (and fix if necessary) the quick poll procedure but we need to wait to be in a case with no tenuki conceivable.

Because the timing changed and because I’m trying to give the best version to fit the pleasure and interest of all of us I give here a new writing of the SPEEDING POLL.

SPEEDING POLL (for a move)

Sometimes players may agree that there is only one move to be played.

How to proceed:

If 2 players agreed that there is only 1 move then a speed poll can be open with one option only (vote for this move)

The poll runs as long as:

The poll reach 50% of the quantity of voters from the poll of the move played just before (100% if it was a speed poll too)
or
24hrs
or
someone make a new suggestion with argumentation.

If no one make a new suggestion then the move is played, else the poll is cancelled and a new poll created.

SPEEDING POLL (for a sequence of moves)

Same procedure with the whole sequence be put to vote once.
Only restriction is to have explicite agreement between as many players as moves in the sequence to launch the speed poll.
When a suggestion is made it cancel only the move it replaced and the subsequent one, so the speed vote can still run for the moves before.

Please be as explicit as possible when submitting a speed poll, write speed poll ,names of players, coordinates in the topic and launch the poll asap. Goban welcome too .

Please comment if you see any problem here, and if not I will update the ruleset in the [The game] topic

2 Likes

I’d support this; it seems like a nice way to do joseki and endgame, but still leaves room for players to decide to get more into the nuts and bolts of joseki sequences instead of just playing an obvious one.

1 Like