About the phonology of the Korean word "Baduk"

Oh yes please, read my opinion but please don’t answer me.

Elaborating on wei : surround, not that bad sound in nuance. qi: first meaning chess, ok but more qi evocate the breathing, the air making your stones living, and well i’d say the sound is not that bad too.

3 Likes

I agree with this, both do seem to contain an “i” in the sense of IPA, if I am to follow Mandarin pronunciation.

Well, it would be pronounced “Pibimba(p)”, since the middle two are in between two sonorants (vowels or consonants that use the vocal chords and can be kept going for a while). The first one is not supposed to be voiced, as far as I can find. (Actually the last “p” is not pronounced at all, plosive sounds at the end are just stops without ever releasing)

I agree that in the video it does sound like a “b”, but then this isn’t exactly a news reader either.

5 Likes

FWIW, the saying is “for all intents and purposes”
(Just joining in on the pedant fun)
((At least you didn’t write intense))

8 Likes

Well, neither, in the informal sense of saying that something has an “i” sound, from my perspective as an American English speaker. If were to pronounce the phrase “i sound”, I would say it like “eye sound” and the word “eye” is quite different than both syllables. For example, if I were describing this word to a child, I would not say that either syllable has an “i / eye” sound, since I would not want to confuse them. I would probably use words like “long a” and “long e” sound (or just compare to “way” and “chee”) to describe those syllables, informally speaking, such as to a child.

However, the crucial issue that I have with lumping them together and describing them as “i sounds” is that they are two fundamentally different sounds. Sure, one could say that under various romanization and phonetic alphabet systems, one or both syllables might use the glyph “i” or “ɪ” (potentially in combination with other glyphs, such as the pinyin “wei” becoming “weɪ” under IPA), but if one is going to adopt that level of formality, I think that one must distinguish between these sounds with more care than lumping them together under the vague category of “i sounds”, which goes too far in suggesting much more similarity than is really present.

In general, for written discussion, I would not simply describe anything as just “i sounds” without further clarification of what phonetic system is intended, and if being formal, I think it is inappropriate to lump these two different sounds under this category.

I believe that “wei” in pinyin would become “weɪ” in IPA, and if we are being so pedantic, I must insist that we properly distinguish between “i” and “ɪ”, and further recognize that they are both distinct from the combination “eɪ”.

7 Likes

Oh, I thought it was supposed to be “for all in tents and porpoises”.

10 Likes

I really enjoyed having this talk with you. You seem polite, knowledgeable about languages and rational. I’m also happy to see that you agree that 3 out of 4 times the character ㅂ appears in 비빔밥 it’s not a “p”. 3/4 seems like we’ve come a long way. We are almost there!

That’s always the thing with theory and practice, isn’t it? That guy from the cooking show is not a news reader but I mean who is? Do you always pronounce all words in you mother tongue like a news reader would? I definitely do not. Even though some people in some situations and some dialects pronounce ㅂ almost like a p at the beginning of the word most of the times it’s actually closer to a b if you ask me (or any Korean friend I have because I asked around after this thread started just to go 100% sure :slight_smile: ). It is one thing to read something in a book and it is another to live in the country for years and talk to people all the time.

Not my mother tongue. Will keep that in mind for next time I use that phrase. Thanks.

Seems like we have a huge gap in what our interpretations of latin characters are. When I say “i” sound I mean the usual sound the character “i” has in languages that utilize the alphabet.

2 Likes

Which one? I guess you mean the Latin alphabet, 'cause you know there are other ones out there. Trust me.

(the capitalized version is especially funny)

4 Likes

I wish we had a syllabary (sp?) instead of an alphabet. Or that IPA was more widely used.

1 Like

Let’s state it like this: in English there is a distinction between the “p” and the “b” in two ways (although dependent on the accent): generally the “pa” is aspirated and always unvoiced, while the “ba” is never aspirated and in almost always voiced.

In Korean there is no distinction between voiced plosives and unvoiced plosives. That is to say, whether you use your voice or not usually does not sound different (or “wrong”) to Korean natives. On the other hand, there is a difference between aspirated and unaspirated (called lax), as well as a “tense” version of these plosive sounds.

Whereas English speakers would have difficulty recognising the difference between an aspirated, lax and tense form of an (unvoiced) “pa”, Korean speakers would have difficulty recognising the difference between a voiced and an unvoiced “ba” versus “pa”. But since the latter is usually aspirated in English, it sounds to Korean speakers as if the “b” is more correct.

Meanwhile, in many European languages, both the “b” and the “p” are not aspirated (much). For example in German (which I presume is one of your languages), Dutch (which is mine) or French. Here the difference should be hard to distinguish for Korean speakers, but easy for German speakers, for example.

It is therefore not weird that the person in your video uses a voiced “b” at the start of Bibimbap, but it would equally be not weird if they said it with an unvoiced “p” at the start (this difference doesn’t exist in Korean).

However, as far as I could gather from watching (carefully pronounced) tutorials on how to pronounce Korean (or at least the amount I remembered from it, it has been a year or two), generally these plosive consonants are unvoiced, unless they happen to be in between other sounds that are all voiced (i.e. sonorants). This doesn’t happen in English, for example the “p” in “compartment” is unvoiced, while it would probably be voiced when speaking in a Korean accent.

Bottom line, however, is that the modern romanisation did not change the “p” from McCune-Reischauer because the sound was incorrect, they changed it because they needed a system without accents, using exclusively letters from the Latin alphabet.

Next to this, in “baduk”, whenever I’ve heard it being pronounced by a Korean, it sounds like an unvoiced “p” to my ear (trained mostly by Dutch language, but therefore able to recognise the difference between a voiced and unvoiced consonant). Which would be in line with the pronunciation guides I’ve seen.

7 Likes

My bad. I’m more on the STEM side of things to my defense. I was under the impression that “alphabet” generally only refers to the latin character system but I was mistaken. You’re right I did mean the latin alphabet. My bad.

I do not think it is “that funny”. Some languages write it like that you know? But again excuse me for my spelling mistakes / typos.

In my opinion the character “p” is way more prone to be misunderstood. If you pronounce it as a strong “p” no one will understand that.

I can live with this assessment. ㅂ is a tough nut for many foreigners starting to learn Korean. Especially if it’s at the beginning of the word and in front of an “a” or an “i”. You could maybe find a Korean speaker and ask him what he thinks sounds better. The pronunciation will get better with more practice but in my experience it is better to start out with something that sounds closer to a “b” in all cases. “pronunciation guides” are especially dangerous because they might overpronounce certain aspects like a news anchor would or even stronger.

Not if they explain in detail how the sounds work and what the important differences are.

I recommend this one (especially starting around 5m20, where it goes after voicing and aspiration, and basically states as much as I wrote above):

I would have guessed you at least know the Greek alphabet exists in those fields, but maybe it’s a wrong guess.

I happen to know that. Also, because Latin alphabet is not my native alphabet, it is a bit funny when people take for granted their own slice of knowledge and disregard everyone else’s.

It read like “the One and True Alphabet”. I found it funny, what can I say :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Should we change this thread name to “Controversial Go Opinions and Language Opinions,” or will the mods split it into a “Baduk/Paduk Pronunciation Pedantry” thread?

3 Likes

Let’s hope no one starts to argue with pronunciations like Badug.

4 Likes

Well :sweat_smile:

This holds for the last letter of baduk as well.

4 Likes

I also think “weiqi” would not make a good word for go in western languages, but for a different reason. My reason is that most people don’t know pinyin. So if we called go weiqi, we would end up with tons of different spellings “weiqi”, “weichi”, “weitchi”, “weitshi”; and also people pronouncing it “weiki”.

“Go” is not so good a name either, because it already has too many meanings. The verb “go” is ubiquitous, and if that wasn’t enough there are also a lot of other trademarks, the go programming language, pokemon go, etc. Look at this insanely-long disambiguation page: Go - Wikipedia

“Baduk” on the other hand, would work well in English and many other western languages.

12 Likes

Aren’t there some Chinese dialects that pronounce it this way? I see the Jyutping is wai4-kei4

This reminds me, 바둑이 (Baduk-i) is a popular name for a pet dog (much like English speakers’ Spot) the last syllable would sound exactly like the ㄱl in KBBQ’s bulgogi (불고). In this case I do think the g sounds about right, but don’t ask me about that b!

5 Likes

I used to hear it as “for all intensive purposes”. I mean if you’re going to be purposeful you’ve got to really work it.

7 Likes

Screenshot_3

9 Likes

Meanwhile, a thread titled About the good old letter O has nothing to do with language :sob:

10 Likes