How can OGS provide accessible learning:
OGS has a large amount of studious DDK's and SDK's looking for reviews, looking for lectures and looking for content.
So rather then asking what do other servers offer. I think it is best too ask what can we offer and get the ball rolling without a lot of work, here is a list of ideas I believe can:
1) Identifying tutors and teachers in chat.
-I think by offering people who engage learning and development of OGS users should be rewarded with a tutors icon.
In chat, a mod has a hammer and purple text. A subscriber has a yellow coin. I feel we can offer teachers\tutors on OGS a scholar’s hat.
The benefit of this scholar icon would let that user have an increased awareness that they teach on OGS.
2) Scheduled Learning and development
- Much like the Small trophy and count down for a tournament we can offer the same for scheduled learning. A small icon next to your friendless counting down the days or hours until the next live lesson.
-Scheduling content can get expensive or complicated based on what is offered. Offering the teacher/tutor chat icon to the people who want to volunteer their time for scheduled public lesson may encourage people to provide content freely.
-By having a format (see 2.1 ie: Game Reviews) it can make it easier to provide scheduled learning.
2.1) Content for scheduled learning
-When content is available the icon for scheduled learning will appear, and count down similar to tournaments.
- Game Reviews - This seems basic; offering a game of interest (ie: 1 dan vs 1 dan games) at a scheduled time. The reviewer will enter the chat and review the game live taking questions from people in chat. If we provide the game to be reviewed in private 1-24 hours before the lesson is live we can have better questions asked during chat, more complete variations and it ultimately helps students see what they are seeing and not seeing with their own self reviews.
- Lectures / lessons - This can be expanded on further, but providing even simple lectures on Dami, Tsumego, Joseki or even spotting sente can expand the lesson library of OGS.
2.2) Archived Lessons
-A place to quickly find and sort through game reviews and lessons by the tutor or content would slowly develop the content of OGS learning library and could be a feature offered to subscribers. Perhaps when enough content is available.