Adding an LGBT+ Pride flag

I think a Pride flag would make a great addition to the flags we can currently select for our profiles. I’ve been working to help other members of the LGBT+ communities feel comfortable and at home in the Go community, to what extent I can, and having the option to indicate ourselves as a part of those communities is a small change that can be far more meaningful than most would expect.

There’s already precedent for OGS flags that don’t represent geographic locations - specifically the “Pirate” and “DOOP” flags - not to mention all the flags that represent fictional locations.

Personally, I’d suggest the “Progress Pride Flag” by Daniel Quasar:

The text beside the flag could read “LGBT+ Pride,” or just “LGBT+” or “Pride.”

32 Likes

Note, any coder with the knowhow can submit this change through Github:

4 Likes

Looks like the flag PNG asset is maintained in its own repo, which includes specific instructions for adding a new flag. I guess you’d need to add the sprite there, and then do a PR in the main repo to reference it.

Here’s a commit I found that adds a single country flag (Catalonia), and it seems to show the small handful of spots one would have to update for another addition. Note the couple lines in the diff update the PNG asset link with a new datestamp.

With those examples to work from, the required coding knowledge here seems minimal indeed. Main hurdle seems to be setting up a VM to host outdated tools so the flag update script can run.

7 Likes

great idea Gooplet :rainbow_flag: and thanks for the links Kosh and snargleplax… I’ve opened a pull request on the flags sprite repo, hopefully did it correctly

12 Likes

What a great nickname, okonomichiyaki!

3 Likes

bumping this as I opened a pull request on the main repo hoping to get more visibility :blush: but I think the way this works the file needs to be on the CDN, which I assume only the developers can do

and tested it locally:

8 Likes

Thank you so much for opening the pull request! A friend started walking me through the process after I started this forum thread, but you immediately beat us to it ^.^ The local test looks great!

5 Likes

nothing like procrastinating other work to inspire a programmer to get something done :joy:

but seriously thank you for suggesting it, I wouldn’t have spoken up myself because I’m shy

7 Likes

I am unreasonably happy right now. Thanks y’all :grin:

15 Likes

You noticed before I could respond saying it’s live, that’s gotta be a record :slight_smile:

12 Likes

~~There’s a small chance I’ve been refreshing the GitHub several times every day x) ~~
Edit: heck I thought this used markdown lol, that was supposed to be a strike through

6 Likes

[s]This works[/s]

This works

3 Likes

Inappropriate, Off-topic, …: please move discussion to private chat if you feel to.

I’ll remove everything occurred after the original topic was resolved, since half of the discussion gets deleted anyways as inappropriate.

11 Likes

In fact, please don’t.

Hatred is not tolerated on this site, and I will ban trolls like this on sight.

15 Likes