I didn’t even know I have more vacation time due to supporting, since I don’t play correspondence games. I’m not sure if it’s good enough or worth the implementation time, but here is another suggestion:
By supporting with at least $15, you get a badge in your profile just like the one I got here.
These badges could be given annually (2017 Supporter, 2018 Supporter, 2019 Supporter, …).
- If you support monthly, you also get the badge as long as you reach the $15 that year.
- This has a problem: if I’ve donated $14 by December and the year changes, then I donate an extra dollar, I do not get a badge. Seems unfair. To fix this, it could be implemented differently: if (you donated $15+ in the past 12 months and did not receive last year’s badge) OR (you donated $15+ in the past 12 months and $30+ in the past 24 months), you get the badge for the current year. It’s true that by donating $30 in January 2018 you’d get both 2018 and 2019 badges, but I still think it’s fair enough, nobody loses here, so I don’t see why worry too much about it. However, even if you’ve donated a million dollars in the past, but stopped support over 12 months ago, it’s also fair that you do not get current’s year badge, since you are clearly no longer a supporter.
To fix this - and I don’t think it needs any fixing, but just in case you disagree and think there should be more recognition if you donate much more than $15 per year:
- There could be two or three supporter tiers. Example: 2017 Supporter ($15+), 2017 Epic Supporter ($60+), 2017 Legendary Supporter ($120+). I’m bad at naming stuff, that was just an example. The next tier always replaces the previous (it doesn’t show two badges for the same year in your profile, just the highest tier).
- The condition to get a badge would be: if (you donated valueOf(Badge B)+ in the past 12 months and donated valueOf(badge B) + valueOf(badge you got last year)+ in the past 24 months), you get current year’s badge B.
About colors in the name
- Monthly supporters could still have an orange name
- Year supporters (those who donated $15+ in the last 12 months) could have the first letter in a different color (maybe red).
- Of course those who are both, have the first letter in red and the rest in orange.
- You get these supporter advantages (more vacation time, supporter chat, etc) for as long as you are either a monthly or an year supporter.
- I just noticed there is a problem here: if I donate $14 today, and then donate $1 in 11 months, I’d just be considered an year supporter for one month. It’s actually easy to fix this, but hard to explain to the supporters, I think. Any suggestions? Or just keep it as is? Edit: I think a fair enough and easy way to explain to supporters would be to give them the benefits as long as: (they donated $15+ in the last 12 months OR it’s been less than 12 months since they made the donation that got them their latest badge OR they had an epic or higher badge in the previous year). From the programming side, this also makes it easier to determine the end date of the benefits as soon as the donation is received.