Ads, OGS, and you

“Ad Free OGS! (99.9%)”

So damn close

3 Likes

!!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!!

!!! !!! !!! !!! !!! WE DID IT !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!!

!!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!!

8 Likes

WOOHOO!

Awesome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So @anoek now that the ad-free bar is full, how does that start transferring over into progress towards servers? :slight_smile:

1 Like

My vote is for “Ad Free OGS” to shrink down to a wrapper on the LHS and “Asia” fills in the whole middle (and obviously becomes a blue progress bar like Ad Free OGS used to be) :slight_smile:

Edit: somthing along the lines of this? :slight_smile:

Extra edit: whoops the blue bar is meant to scale with the percentage with black behind it :stuck_out_tongue: but I’m sure you get the idea :wink:

2 Likes

Good question.

I’m a supporter myself, but I’d actually even turn on ads for myself if it would help getting the servers in (1st) Asia and (2nd) Europe faster … I’m sure this would bring many more players to the platform and flush in more money more quickly.

3 Likes

Yeah, as long as there is no ad on the game page!!! :smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this success. Count me in on helping with that Asia goal as soon as one time payments are possible.

3 Likes

hi,

Actually, we all have been duped, the raised money is for @anoek to afford go classes from a pro player :-D:joy: :joy: so he can reach dan level Q1 2018.

Just kidding :slight_smile: he may reach 1d without this trick on us :smiley:

Arnaud

Fingers crossed, but from programming perspective, running multi-region is a though nut to crunch. It’s not as simple as ‘hey, let’s add more servers’.

It’s more of:

1. Here we have a game, which region should it be hosted in? - negotiation
  2. I’m going to play that game, who should I be talking to? - routing
  3. I’m watching those X games on the preview screen, should I talk to different regions, or will the nearest server get me the slightly delayed relay for each of the game (different routes for observation vs. playout)
  4. Etc…

Which means a lot of coding, both in the Client and on the Server side, with some new APIs needed as well. My point is that we don’t need more servers, we need more anoeks :wink:

3 Likes

It didn’t sound like that on the “Speeding up OGS around the world” thread. In that thread it’s also mentioned that ALL servers are running in the US atm. So possibly all the problems you rightly point out have been solved already? The guys in charge will know of course.

1 Like

Yay :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Unfortunately, that message doesn’t seem to change according to the language setting used. So those in Asia & Europe who would benefit most from meeting these new goals won’t be able to understand the message!

1 Like

Any news on potentially offering one-time donations? :slight_smile: I would be happy to support the server now that I am back into Go, but I don’t have or want a credit card and PayPal will not allow subscriptions without one.

2 Likes

Yep working on finishing that up :slight_smile: There’s some tangentially related legal stuff related to me moving between states that I’m dealing with as a part of that, that’s part of the holdup at this point… should all be wrapped up soonish though.

5 Likes

Awesome news, thank you. Safe moving!

2 Likes

This sure is a good site. Everyone behind it has done a smashing good job.

Mogadeet

2 Likes

Can I turn on ads to support?

1 Like

Not at this stage, but you’re not the first to request it.

However, one has to ask how much revenue they could get selling ads for just a handful of views.

1 Like

Hello!

Are the financial goals in an appropriate order?

Is removing adds before OGS can afford more servers consistent?

Arnaud