Ahh Marketing is Hard. Plz Help!

First of all, my best wishes for a full recovery to your wife. Kinetic/mobility issues can be very stressful to deal with and I wish you the best.

On the topic, I have one question. What do you mean you would have to hire someone ELSE to give the lecture/lesson? Is this endeavor your personal teaching material or is it a collaboration? Could you please provide some details so that we can understand what your business model is?

On the other things please take whatever I am writing with a grain of salt because I am not very known for being “in” with what is “trending”:
a) In some trades and categories (like the cosmetics Gia mentioned) the prospective clients actually WANT to pay more and scoff at the idea of paying less, since the price itself is the simplistic (but effective) scale of whether or not you are buying a quality product. Having worked as a tutor myself, I have found the conundrum of “how much money should I charge for my services?” as quite the problem, especially since I am reticent of asking people for money, even if it is my wages.
Too low and people would laugh and say “oh wow, he must be desparate” or “he must be horrible at teaching” (not to mention that other tutors would get furious for “degrading” the profession, by lowering the prices)
Too high and people would laugh and say “oh wow, who does he think he is?” or “he must have so few students that he wants to suck the few students he has dry”
Now, unfortunately, it depends on where your target audience lives. If you charge 25$ per hour in the States, that might sound reasonable. Charge that in Greece and you have another thing coming. So, you should think hard about finding a balance, but definitely do not go for very cheap tiers.

b) Times are rough for quality content. I honestly get annoyed by the injustice of you having to work hard for a week to make some lectures and lessons of value, while “influencers” just take a snapshot of their breakfast at a hotel and get paid. Having said that, what else can you do other than being more aggressive with promoting your content? Here, in social media or in your local community. It is tasteless advice, but such is the struggle of content creation. I’ve known that you have been teaching for years, I did not even knew you had a patreon. You even forgot to put a link to it here, when it is in fact the very topic of the discussion. You have to promote that more. I am sorry to say it, but unless you get to make it to the “large numbers”, content creation is a grind.

c) I was not 100% serious in my suggestion in your previous topic, but I was not kidding either:

finding an idea that makes a splash in the local community is always a good step.
Now, why I propose that? Because of the local tourism marketing I see in smaller places like mine.
There are the taverns that work with tourists each summer season (akin to finding transient clients/students via social media and marketing). Those are very flimsy in their footing since every setback (like the quarantines) can potentially destroy their business model.
However, there are a few that have gone the other way, working all year with the locals. This means that come summer-time they already have some dedicated clientelle (even though they can accommodate less tourists), but they work during the winter AND during other setbacks that could easily drive others in closing shop.

Let’s say that YT has another problem with the Ads like it had a few years ago, or Patreon has another issue with bleeding out members and they up their cut or there is some kind of extra federal tax to content creators or whatever. It is always a good idea to have a stable setting in the real world, with the local community.
Besides isn’t it a Go proverb (or something I’ve read in a Go book at least talking about attacking groups) that “you cannot throw a punch unless you are firmly standing on your feet?”

Think beyond the digital marketing and, oddly enough, you land back to the good-old material world marketing. Once you have the ability, you need to get moving out. Attend local events, charities, fairs, school teaching events, church outings, choirs or whatever else there is. Let it be known that you are there, you are useful and by knowning more and more people you might get students to create group lessons (group lessons are always better than 1 on 1 for obvious reasons). I know it is not Patreon advice, but hey.

Good luck :slight_smile:

5 Likes