If you had $1,000 for the Go community

@Clossius1

If you had $1,000 for the Go community, what would you spend it on?

Aggressive marketing. Here is my idea:
You get your best younger player and you advertise “win 1000 dollars by winning at Go against this kid. You have 1 week. Your time starts NOW” you know Taskmaster style … that would get people talking about the local Go club, for sure … plus you won’t lose any money, cause noone can learn to play Go and win in a week :wink:

So, you’ll still have money to run this scheme for next month too. Neat huh? :stuck_out_tongue:

@Gia

and we end up with lots of dreaming and no doing.

It is the good old clash of world-views. The “all or nothing” people vs the “whatever-it-is-good-enough” kind of fellows. Both ideas have their merits, though.

@Cchristina

Go players try too much to imitate Chess players.
It makes me want to learn to play Chess instead.

It is a good thing then that they are such different games :slight_smile:
A good thing that could be marketed is how different and, in a sense, easier, Go is to have fun while being in a meaningful ranking.

I used to be good at chess when I was a kid, but never studied for it (chess needs a LOT of memorization, which I despise), but what was good for my place, was really nothing against a player of mediocre elo of 1200 with basic memorization skills and formal openings.
To even hold a 1200 elo rank in chess needs books upon books of reading and learning.
Not so much in Go, apparently, if that link is to be believed, because 1200 elo in Go is practically 10k, which a kid can reach with minimal studying, in comparison to chess.

So, if anything, sometimes we should aim for the differences.

3 Likes