AlphaGo Teach — whole-board joseki

Another AGT position continued to the end with KataGo from ZBaduk. It was even throughout the game (as is par for the course) until black crashed and burned in the endgame:

2 Likes

I completely re-played both of the above games with better playouts (same links).

And here’s an (IMO) spectacular third game with huge territories on both sides. At one point, one player sacrifices 20 stones, apparently with the purpose of living with 6 points on the other side. The game stays balanced after the “trade”. https://online-go.com/review/434009

Another game with lots of sacrificed stones and huge territories on both sides (but it’s a half-pointer, of course): https://online-go.com/review/434346

More games (let me know if I should stop spamming these… or alternatively post them in a “Kata Go self-play games” thread?):

Game 5
Game 6 (continued from a High Chinese position)
Game 7 (in which white not only makes a wall, but successfully uses it to build a moyo)
Game 8 (the first game I’ve continued from a position with an early 3-3 at move 5 - amazingly, the projected winrate remains almost perfectly even until move 330)

Game 9 started from a super complicated fuseki and stayed complicated throughout.

Game 10, in which black actually creates a sizeable center territory rather than it all turning into dame.

Life in 19x19 user xela (Australian 2d) added LZ-258 variations and comments for game 1. Super fascinating IMO!

xela has added a few variations and comments for game 2, as well: https://online-go.com/review/432118

KataGo continuing from an AlphaGo Teach position, game 11: Black not only goes for vast amounts of influence, but actually uses it to build a giant center territory. White takes three and a half corners and wins by 2.5 points or so.

1 Like

KataGo continuing from an AlphaGo Teach position, game 12: In which white almost makes a B2 bomber shape in the fuseki. Black refuses to be shown up and builds a proper B2 bomber later. The game is decided in a ko that is fought over 76 moves.

Cool winrate graph, too:

2 Likes

My next project is to explore AlphaGo teach positions in which white makes a mistake on move 2 in order to get the winrate closer to 50 % (continuing with KataGo at the end of AGT’s sequence). Game 13:

1 Like

My current project, which started with game 13, is to explore AlphaGo teach positions in which white makes a mistake on move 2 in order to get the winrate closer to 50 % (continuing with KataGo at the end of AGT’s sequence).

White won game 14 by 0.5 points:

In game 15, black slays white’s dragon and wins big. Noteworthily, Leela Zero gives white 64 % winrate as late as move 275:

In game 16, it is black’s dragon that dies:

1 Like

White wins game 17 by 26 points or so:

Likewise, white is ahead by about 26 points again by the end of game 18:

Black wins game 19 by 1.5 points or so. Leela Zero gives white 62 % winrate as late as move 308:

1 Like

White wins game 20 by 2.5 points or so:

1 Like

Black wins game 21 by 1.5 points:

White wins game 22 by 4.5 points or so:

Black wins game 23 by 1.5 points:

1 Like

White wins the IMO beautifully balanced 24th game by 0.5 points:

When I started this thread, previews of the games were displayed on the forum. Now it’s just a blank board for all games. @anoek Know what’s up with that? It’s across all three devices I use.

In the meantime, dear readers of this thread if you exist, you may follow along with previews (for the KataGo NZ self-play games as well) over here: My hand-crafted KataGo (+ AlphaGo Teach) self-play games • Life In 19x19

2 Likes

Black wins game 25 by 1.5 points:

White wins game 26 by 0.5 points:

2 Likes

White wins game 27 (Chinese rules, 7.5 komi) by at least 2.5 points:

1 Like