AlphaGo VS Ke Jie this year

Guess we will find out :wink: really looking forward to this one :heart:

also a puzzling question: how much stronger are 5 pros compared to 1? :wink:

3 Likes

Finally this is confirmed, yeah! :slight_smile: But I would not expect too much from 5 VS 1 match. BTW, was this ever a thing before, like pros teaming up to fight each other? I suspect that in Go, a personal style is very important and you just cant add pro skills together and get a super pro out of it. There might be even fights within the team (go influential or not? Who will decide?).

Personally I guess that Ke Jie will have a very hard time against the machine…

2 Likes

Yea, I guess it could be just as interesting to see how the pros interact with each other in a situation like this. What will their approach be? Will it be a democracy or will 1 person take charge and use the other 4 as a source of idea’s/check reading etc.
Also who selects the team? Go isn’t normally a team sport so does someone pick a captain and he gets to choose his team… Or will they simply select the 5 strongest Pros and hope they work well together?

That is my feeling as well. would be nice to see though! maybe even give the pros a board to play out variations and discuss?

@KevinFarrell
i assume there would have to be a captain, making all final decisions. everything else woul probably be difficult :slight_smile:.

I think seeing how the pros work together on this will be almost as interesting as the game itself. I feel like there’s a solid mutual respect, and they all have such immense experience and understanding compared to us, I could see it going a lot of ways. I wonder if they’ll try a divide-and-conquer approach with some teams making moves and others discussing variations and reading ahead, giving the humans a time-advantage.

2 Likes

I saw discussions on reddit about time settings being too short for team go. Where can I look this up? I found only articles about general format of the event.