Analyze Mode Display Glitches - Android Chrome

The board goes mostly blank when I try to review a game, rewind a move, or plan a conditional move. Just starting happening w my new Samsung S9.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forums @hilger I moved your comment over to this existing thread discussing the issue. We will hopefully have a permanent solution soon but for now please do not use game analysis.

1 Like

Moved from another thread to keep all the discoveries in one place (- moderator note)

I am viewing OGS on mobile Chrome v77.0.3865.73 using Android 9.

Up until last weekend, OGS was performing fine, and then I noticed that it’s having a problem displaying games, but only when you use the bottom game menu to review a game from the beginning. Please note that this applies to both

• games that are currently ongoing, and
  • games that are competed / scored, etc.

So, most of the site still works - meaning I can view games that are in progress, both on the /observe-games page, and drilling down into individual games.

However, if I go into any one individual game, and use the |<< key at the bottom to rewind to the beginning of the game, the board display will go completely blank. Sometimes the 19x19 grid will refresh and pop back up, and sometimes it will just stay a completely blank board with no stones and no grid.

When I try to review a completed game - say from my own SGF collection on OGS - then I get the grid and I get the AI review markings for possible move, best move, actual move, etc – but there are no stones displayed.

When I try to review a game in progress - most of the time I get no grid and no stones at all. Sometimes the grid will pop up, and I will get empty white or black circles indicating where a particular move landed in the correct order, but again, no stones.

I believe that this problem only started on September 12th or 13th (Friday the 13th maybe? :wink:

It’s not a huge issue, but it does certainly impact my use of the site, as I like to review high level games move-by-move, and now I can only watch them live.

Have there been some mobile changes that were recently applied that might have impacted this functionality?

Thanks
tonyb

1 Like

Here is a screenshot of an active game where I have tried to go back to the first move:

2 Likes

FWIW - i reset the theme for OGS on my mobile browser to the simplest visual option (as per Flovo’s suggestion) and now all site functionality works fine.

1 Like

I believe this is a chrome bug. This bug manifests itself on longer games, but short games everything works normally.

For now, our best bet is to switch to the plain stones as @flovo recommended, or use a different browser. I’ll try and figure out a workaround in case this takes awhile for the Chrome team to pick up and fix.

3 Likes

As a matter of record, plain stones don’t fix the issue for me, however changing themes fixes the issue very temporarily.

Clicking back to game with plain stones still breaks, as does entering analysis. While in analysis changing to simple stones will fix temporarily but only durring forward and back moves. Anything else will rebreak and require changing stone/board theme again.

2 Likes

Same

1 Like

Yeah, I retract my comment that Analyze mode works with all the simplest board and stone settings.

I had originally tried that with a game that had less than 20 moves, and mistakenly concluded that the issue was resolved.

I’ve tried it with games that have 30 or 40 moves or more, and then it fails - which again points to memory issues. There must be some sort of threshold where games that only have a few moves still fall within the memory requirements.

It seems Anoek is at least slightly familiar with some of these, so I’m just gonna cut to the chase and provide data from my mobile

LG Aristo 2 Plus running Android 8.1.0

Screenshot_2019-09-17-17-19-10 Screenshot_2019-09-17-17-19-46 Screenshot_2019-09-17-17-19-57

Android 8.1.0 Unknown model (returns code X00TD)

Screenshot-20190918-080855

1 Like

moved your helpful comment over to the main thread discussing the issue so that @anoek can more easily review all the evidence and discussion

3 Likes

my mistake, sorry.

2 Likes

it’s not a problem :slight_smile: I slightly edited the title of this thread to hopefully make it easier to search for.

2 Likes

I tried to use the simplest work around by installing another browser, which turns out to be not so simple.

I tried 5-6 browsers, including firefox, opera, and their derivatives, and a few others, and they all have the same bug as chrome, presumably because they all use the chrome engine.

Finally, I got one that’s working fine: Microsoft Edge.

Now there you go.

1 Like

Firefox uses it’s own engine. And it works fine for me.

1 Like

It’s been working for me now on Windows 10 Chrome

Yeah it’s only an Android problem

2 Likes

I can play games fine, but when I click on “analyse game” or when I want to look at a review I get a strange screen with the stones missing in the field.
See example:

1 Like

Correction, now my playing screen does not work correctly either. I don’t see the stones appear in the screen (this view is after already 4 moves were made):

Hi @alasala OGS Mod here; I moved your comments over to the main thread for this issue.