Analyze Mode Display Glitches - Android Chrome

When I enter Analyze Mode the board goes blank and stays blank even if I exit Analyze Mode. This never happened to me before. Just discovered it today as I woke up this morning. Using Chrome for Android. I’ll check my desktop when I get home from work.

6 Likes

Happening here too, chrome android as well.
Firefox works fine.

Everything works until moving forward/back a move to enter analysis. After this all board features other then board texture dissapear. Problem persists on overview page.

The game tree does not show the stone icons either, only numbers.

Circles and some of the other analysis features that seem text based still show?

3 Likes

I have the same issue. It was working last night, but during the night chrome on my phone updated itself. The current chrome version is 77.0.3865.73 on Android version 7.0.

On my desktop (windows 10 64bit with Chrome 76.0.3809.132) it is working fine.
Also updated the desktop Chrome to 77.0.3865.75, and that still works fine.

3 Likes

@anoek @flovo

1 Like

I can reproduce it. Affected is Chrome and Chrome-Dev on Android. Since only Chrome on Android is affected, I think it’s and Chrome bug.

The bug seems to depend on the selected board and stones. I had the fewest problems while using:
Untitled
With those it worked almost fine.

In the other case the board wasn’t always blank, but sometimes (after some time waiting) the lines where showing up at the places without stones (and black squares over the stones).

Since the update to Chrome 77 took place some days ago, it’s most certainly a Chome bug. It’s probably related with https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/09/11/chrome-bug-is-causing-web-pages-inside-apps-to-freeze-and-crash/

7 Likes

Excellent research flovo <3 thanks so much!

@flovo I’m guessing you saw, but just in case it helps: anoek put in a new mechanism for sizing the board, to fix the wierd “wrong size/place on initial load” - this is also a fix for the rank graph and other things that had similar problems.

It seems like it could have led to / exposed a new issue like this?

2 Likes

I feel like if anoek’s code was the problem we’d have more reported issues since the server updates at the same time for everyone but people tend to take longer to update their mobile browsers

2 Likes

I don’t know. Funny thing is, for my “analysis disabled” games back and forth works fine until I “activate” the bug in another game, after that it’s broken on all boards.

To me it looks like a funny combination of move-tree and stone skins are causing chrome to go crazy.

Opera Mini, Brave and Firefox are working on Android

PS: I usually don’t look at the other commits, so no I hadn’t seen it.

3 Likes

I found a Demo-Board where it happens in Firefox on Android as well: https://online-go.com/review/412363

3 Likes

I’m having the same problem. Possibly pointing to the board sizing changes, clicking around will bring up a tiny version on the game in the upper left of the board:

Doesn’t seem to be affected by changing the board or stone design for me.

2 Likes

Happening for me too on Chrome Android and Windows 10.

I’ll check out some other browsers.

1 Like

A github issue was opened for this

1 Like

its funny how it is not affecting normal game play but only analyze mode. it must be a sign from above that says

THOU SHALT NOT USE ANALYZE MODE

6 Likes

I’m sure anoek is VERY thankful it wasn’t affecting normal game play or it possibly would have seriously interrupted his weekend :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

that being said, i am quite baffled why this is the case.
i am not a coding guy, but i would expect normal play and analyze mode use the same set of code for display.

Something goes wrong when we enter Analyze mode, and it doesn’t even work for play mode after that (at least for me…)

1 Like

a press of the F5 button should get it back to work.

1 Like

Sure, sorry for the short thowaway comment on my part. I was just responding to your inference that the Analyse and Play must be using different code because they behave differently, which is not what you expect.

In fact, they do use the same code for displaying the board, but of course Analyze adds the game tree. Maybe it is the presence of this that puts things into a bad state…

2 Likes

It probable is

2 Likes