Analyze vs. Review

I see for all games in ogs, either played in ogs or uploaded to the sgf library, can be either “review” or “analyze”, can you tell me the difference? As I see the AI evaluation is only provided for a few moves for free, I am not sure whether that is the so-called analyze? Please shed some light. Thanks in advance.

hi @dino1019,

“analyze” allows you to play out sequences on the board and thereby analyze :slight_smile: a given position in more depth than you could in your head. sequences you play out in that way are saved only temporarily and do not stick, unless you press the share button. this feature is mainly useful in correspondence games.
“review” on the other hand creates a seperate sgf-file you can the enhance with variations, comments and other good stuff (but mainly those two) xD.

greetings

6 Likes

Can I delete a review/demo? Are they always there?
Thanks gain.

it’s not possible to delete them - i don’t know why.
maybe no one knows why …

3 Likes

It is not possible to delete reviews or demos. I suppose this was already discussed here, but I would like to take the chance to say that this is one of the things that annoys me in this site. This practically annuls the feature of a demo board, because whatever I do there will be registered in my profile forever.

3 Likes

FWIW while the board itself cannot be deleted you can delete all the trees from a demo board effectively clearing it. Only the chat remains permanent at that point I believe.

There’s a critical function that is missing here: start trial and stop trial.

I’m not clear on what you mean by that. What is “start trial” ?

Multigo, yikeweiqi, fox go, etc. tools or servers come with start trial (test move), stop trial, during which one additional branch is diplayed temporarily.

Of course, you might argue that in ogs, you can try many different branches and variations, the problem is all thoese branches and variations are automatically stored in the same tree, which results in complexity and confusion. The reason is simple, those are test moves, they are not necessarily valid variations.

Start trial, stop trial seem to be so basic but are nevertheless the most useful.

My humble opinion.

Yeah you can do this in analyse game it’s similar to review but the variations aren’t saved. Sounds like exactly what you’re describing?

I’d need to try one of those other tools to be sure, but I think this “trial” is a way of saying “this is a valid variation, not a test move, so I want to keep it”.

On OGS you manage this with the “delete” button - you delete test moves/branches to keep the tree clean.

The delete in ogs is a differenet analogy: you store all the variations you travelled, and you explicit delete one branch, and it’s a two-click (plus one confirm), so you will have a lot a variations, including those you travel by mistake.You can capture screen or download (the whole tree, not one variation)

The start/stop trial mode in these tools is a quick way to test different moves, during self-review or group review, note that group real-time review is a unique feature in ogs, in fox you can review a game played at fox, but you cannot upload a kifu, at yikeweiqi, no way to real-time group review) But you do ask a question that I don’t know: how to tell a valid variation, the you want to store in the tree, from those you don’t. Multigo, as an sgf editor, of course has a way to do it, but in reality, I try not to add variations to an sgf file due to its complexity, but one level of sub-branches might be useful for candidate next moves of a game position, which is available for more and more AI tools today (such as A-Q weiqi).

Top of mind thought is, say, stop trial and save/not save the variation/sub-branch, but maybe immature.Investigation into different use caes might be required.

But I did have an experience: I download an sgf from ogs review or analyze mode, and in the group review (not at ogs server), the human teacher is confused by this sgf file, by its huge number of branchings, not knowing which is the originsl game.

Thanks again for listening to my story.

1 Like

By the way, there is a unique feature that mutigo has: the option to display dead stones (move 20 at G3, which implies coordinates are also visible or move 20 at 10) and capture a local screen, and move numbers on for last x moves. You see this is important for sharing a variation, but no other tool has this.

I think you missed my comment and only saw Eugene’s, I said

Analyse will automatically clear when you refresh so it deletes everything as you wish and if there is one special variation you want to keep you can use the “…share” feature found between stones record and chat to add the specific variation permanently to game chat.

I try again, in analyze mode, you play out different variations, they are automatically stored in the tree diagram, but will not be stored in the downloaded sgf file. It solves some problem, but not all. for example, without “stop trial”, no easy way to go back to the branching point immediately (of course, you might argue that you can click at that point in the tree diagram). Moreover, now the developer is looking into how to store only valid variations, I think this is a good discussion. I appreciate very much.

2 Likes