And now I won another game and my rank went down AGAIN

I won’t be happy until my rank goes up after a loss and a win! :joy:

6 Likes

Ranking has no meaning at all on Goquest, just the points rating is ok ( for long time players )

3 Likes

Will just quote this:

Things are in the works

4 Likes

I just lost a game but my rating improved from 16.0k to 15.7k.

Not complaining, just saying.

2 Likes

Same for me, again. I won a game vs a provisional rank [?] and went down from 14k to 15k. That’s why I find the OGS rating system somewhat discouraging.

This system will let your kyu/dan rank change once per game. Even if the rating points only change 1 point per game the player may still oscillate between say… 1 dan and 2 dan. No matter who you play that is definitely too often. I think there should be a slight disparity allowed between kyu/dan level and the rating points. Maybe only update kyu/dan once per day? Or just drop the kyu/dan ranks entirely because they have never made any sense to begin with and use rating points only.

I don’t think this would help with the issue. I can imagine all the posts about “I won but lost rating points”.
It seems that what is requested is a kind of ratchet system where you can only lose points when you lose a game. So that if you win against a weaker player, it pushed a better win out of your window (and you would normally lose points) you in fact would not lose points. And then later when you lose a game you’d also lose the points you should have lost before. But now that point reduction is “hidden” behind a loss so feels more tolerable.

Sorry if I’m stating the obvious.

[Edit] Of course maybe people would complain that they won but gained no points. So you’d also have to award some fake points which you could deduct after a loss. And I suppose people might also complain that they won and won and gained few points and then one loss crashed them down loads…

1 Like

The points are a huge number in the thousands so them changing a little is not a big deal. But 1d vs 2d is not so insignificant

1 Like