Announcement Center Guidelines

Here’s a good one haha

7 Likes

I’d click on that tbh :joy:

3 Likes

I don’t really have many opinions on the subject, but as a site user I really want to have to option to know the streamer first thing.

I see many announcements of people who don’t even mention their name, and I think that should be the bare minimum.

7 Likes

Any chance to get something in place soon?

Personally I am rarely (but not never) interested in streamers. The ‘not never’-part has let me shy away from blocking all streamer messages. But there are many now, and some of them (as discussed before on this thread) give zero information about what to expect. I just feel spammed and I am now reluctantly considering to block everything.

I think reasonable guidleines would be in the interest of all streamers (because people like me might not block the announcments) as well as in that of all other users.

6 Likes

Why not just block specific streamers who give zero information? That’s what I do and I am happy with it, no spam but not missing out on good streams either.

Still, some guidelines would be nice. Zchenmike has been advertising his fox server content recently. He is one of my favourite go streamers but I don’t see why he would be exempt from having to stream OGS content when advertising on OGS. He wasn’t even told that he shouldn’t put up a banner when he is doing non-OGS stuff? That’s basically the only guideline that exists currently and even that is not being followd. It might get out of hand if there are no guidelines and moderators don’t pay attention to the banners on a one-by-one basis.

3 Likes

I haven’t counted, by I think there are too many of them and often new ones. (Admittedly this is a guess.) I maybe watch streams for one hour a year. I will not invest the same amount per year for applying individual blocks.

But yeah, this feature definitely is more for people who are significantly more interested in streamers than me and the reasonable solution for me is to just block all. For someone more interested than me individual blocks look like a decent solution.

1 Like

I get the impression this guideline isn’t being mentioned to most people. Is this guideline actually written anywhere? I’ve only heard it referred to.

FWIW nearly a third of users who responded to this poll like non-OGS streams getting announced Announcement Center Guidelines - #10 by Gooplet

1 Like

I doubt it’s a written guideline but that’s pretty much the only criteria I have been told when I asked about banner rights.

Apparently, I voted for that already. I prefer only-OGS content because it would either be very hard to set guidelines in a way that the pop-ups wouldn’t take up a huge space. I would be completely fine with a non-pop-up designated space for all go announcements. I would also be fine with all go announcements showing up as pop-ups but only if i can “allow” specific streamers instead of having to “block” all the ones I don’t want to see. That would be the only way I can think of to prevent pop-up spam without having to spend time on it constantly. Same problem as Richy’s would be there on a larger extent.

Currently, very few streamers fail to follow the convention and omit to provide any info. You can check how all the banner streamers advertise their streams at once, on Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS (settings, announcements). The banner names for the latest streams all show in one screen, easy to notice the bad apples.

If that’s still too much work, I personally block people who don’t provide information. If you pm me, I can tell you the very few streamers who put up silly banners with silly names but I guarantee you if you check announcement settings, you’ll notice it’s mostly a couple people who do that.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s useful and makes reasonably efficient. And indeed not that many, I just blocked 2 more now (I already had blocked about 5 it seems.)

1 Like

I opened a github issue about a year ago, but seems like no coder started with working with it ://

1 Like

Since it up to individual moderator to tell those, there isnt any official written guidelines anywhere, its basically just “use your common sense” type of thing. When i was a moderator i desperately wanted those proper written guidelines / instructions somewhere as its pain in the butt to go thru everything whenever giving someone announcer rights >____>

2 Likes

I stream weekly on Twitch while playing on OGS and would like permission settings to announce the stream. I also host professional players and would like to announce those games, as well. They may not be played on OGS but would be live streamed on my twitch account.
Thanks!

Hi @les.waller . Please contact me ( 🐬Sofiam🐬 ) or any other moderator on OGS and we will discuss it.

1 Like