Announcing the 2020 e-Go Congress on August 1-9! (Registration ends on July 29, 9 PM EDT)

@Bjondro No, none of the tournaments will be rated.

1 Like

Update: DDK tournament has 7 spots left - other events are still available!

2 Likes

@xhu98 I have two questions:
-How will the pairings work? I’m a TPK, will I be thrown in with the lions?
-For the Zoom thingie, will we need camera access?

Edit: Does anyone know if this https://shin.gokgs.com/chat is legit? I’d want to attend some more events, but client is a pain.

4 Likes

Yeah, ShinKGS is for real, I think. There was an American Go E-Journal article about it a couple months back (https://www.usgo.org/news/2020/05/kgs-adds-web-registration/ <-- the E-Journal article), and I’ve used it several times. As the AGA article says, though, it does have a few problems. For example, game chat isn’t visible unless you go to a game, leave the game, and then come back to the same game for the second time (in my experience, anyway). The bugs can be somewhat annoying, but they’re manageable, for the most part.

3 Likes

Great! I’ll try familiarizing with it in time for the event.

You’d have to ask the TDs, but I think the pairings will always find you opponents of similar rank :smiley:

Zoom will be required for Relay Go events (there’ll be a large Zoom call in which everything will be managed) and Hangouts. You don’t necessarily need an external webcam, but you probably want to ensure at least a working microphone to make the discussions effective.

1 Like

How can I contact these nice people? I found some emails on the site, but everyone is probably up to their eyelashes with stuff a week before the event. Can I ask in the OGS group chat?

Yes, please feel free to ask questions in the OGS group chat!

Contact information for TDs can be found here: https://www.gocongress.org/2020/contacts

2 Likes

@Gia Hi I’ll be an assistant TD for the Open tournament. We pair people in the Open based on McMahon pairing, as people always do at US Go Congress.

Initially, people with the same rating will be given a same McMahon score. So say you’re a 10k, in the first round you’ll be paired with people within the same band/McMahon score (MMS, say, =10). After the first round, if you lose, nothing happen to your score but if you win, you get 1 point. Then for second round, you’ll be paired off with people with the same score. And so on. So McMahon is more sensitive to performance, not necessarily rating.

5 Likes

Thanks for the information!

Latest update: Registration for 2020 e-Go Congress closing tomorrow 7/29

Today is the final day of open registration! If you have already registered, please complete the check-in form by July 31, 8 PM EDT. You can find more details in the post above :smiley:

5 Likes

Where can I find information about how the komi is decided for the 9x9-tournament? Here it says that komi is variable depending on rank difference, and it would be nice to know in advance exactly what this means :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I couldn’t find it in the OGS handbook, but this info should be made available to you before tournament. Notice, this is specific to 9x9 since no handicap is used.

In general, you can find tournament info in the OGS handbook.

6 Likes

Thank you, CatMiai.

@Atorrante Hah! I wish my name really was Miai

3 Likes

Well, for me your are Cat Miai :upside_down_face:

Cat, I think that might be the 13x13 komi. Here is the komi table used for the 9x9 tournament.

5 Likes

Handicap play with self-declared ranks is gonna be weird.

2 Likes

Yes, converting from EGF rank to AGA seemed tricky, and in the end I just sort of winged it. Hopefully most people will guess their rank somewhat closely and the games won’t be too one-sided.

1 Like

Nice, 3 points per rank did seem a bit much for 9x9.

1 Like