Anyone else think the "one trick poney" get anoying

Well, the 3-3 invasion of a 4-4 is often free influence…than can often be worth much more point than whatever the enemy gain in the 3-3.

Sure, not always easy or simple to make foll use of it.

Pardon me, I thought I had agreed with you.

If it’s a solid opening and not a trick opening you can’t “learn counter” and win every time. It doesn’t work like that. Opening is just a beginning.

I realised there’s something I didn’t appreciate.

Was the OP talking about a specific one trick pony (IE early 3-3 invasion trend), or just complaining that some people only play one opening of their choice?

Was speaking of people who, for example, play 5-4 follow by 5-3…Every single game. All of their game, very same move. Or a person who only play black and play double 4-4 intro 10-3 (kind of a weird inferior san-rei-sei).

Not than I get problem beating those kind of joseki, get quite decent win rate. It just, when you see the name and they are the only game offer in your level, I am at the point I just hesitate to take them because well…gonna be the same 5-4/5-3 opening than i played like 40 time again the same person.

I just feel it get boring and cannot understand how people like playing this way. I mean, I like double 4-4 follow by approach personally, but will from time to time trow a 3-4, do a chinese or a micro or a sanrei sei instead of somethings.

But really, In some case, there people where it is the very very very same fuseki every single game over hundreds of game played. And yea, I was questioning if other get the same experience than i do and somehow find it boring.

1 Like

I only play correspondence, live might be different.

I’ve once encountered an opponent who at the time was always playing Chinese. I researched Chinese and tried some experiments to see if that knowledge could help me beat them.

Once I was tired of that, I declined to play them again. There are plenty of other opponents…

Maybe it’s time for a poll?

You can get quite different games even if you play the same beginning moves.

5 Likes