Anyone know how to solve this 3p puzzle?

A bizarre puzzle that apparently even Japanese insei had trouble with, anyone know how to beat it?

It might be just a troll puzzle but I’m curious anyways.

lol I don’t even know which part to kill, can’t even find the first move

If insei had trouble i doubt any of us will get it right

1 Like

Solved it. Took me like 2 minutes…

I would tell you the answer but don’t want to spoil it for you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sooo somene placed several stones totally at random and called it a tsumego? :smiley: I am not falling for that one (again) :smiley:

1 Like

Oh, or is it like in the Judge Di (Dee) books, where the old master published a seemingly weird tsumeego everyone was failing to understand, but (SPOILER AHEAD) later on Judge Dee discovered it was actually a secret code? :slight_smile:

good one :smirk:

Wait there’s like a code encrypted? please explain.

I am not sure as to what code is encrypted in this particular puzzle, but it reminded me of an old detective story set in old China. (Judge Dee (or Judge Di) series - lovely collection of books vaguely based on a real character) The setup is very same - an old dying master published a very highly regarded book of tsumegos. However the last puzzle was very strange and many masters had difficulties explaining the purpouse behind the setup situations. (SPOILERS AHEAD AGAIN) later on the hero of the stories Judge Di discovered that it actually served to preserve a secret combination to some locked door or hidden safe or something.
Really great books if you like china and detective stories :wink:

To be honest though, regarding this puzzle I am quite convinced the payoff is not that romantic and someone was just trying to be funny :smiley: As I understand it tsumegos are very enclosed puzzels resembeling real situations where each stone should have some function. And this setup really looks like someone was clicking at random and even filled 3/4 corners which is a silly move in the circumstances (and to be even more funny Koreans would understand such a move as polite resignation :smiley: ) similarly unbelieavable are the stones on the 1st line which serve no purpose and noone would play them (at least as the second player) because they could be immediately run into an unvinable capture race and therefore useless at the moment.

That is at least as I see it :smiley: but who knows, wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

An elder monk was addressing his students with a large staff. He asked the first student, “What is the answer to the tsumego?” The first student answered as well as he could, and said “Since the hint says to play from the outside, I would start near tengen.” The elder monk hit the first student on the head with the staff.

He went to the next student, and asked again: “What is the answer to the tsumego?” The next student answered “It is a trick question, there is no answer.” and the elder monk hit him with the stick, too.

He asked the third student the same question, and the third student did nothing but quake in fear. That student got a knock on the head as well.

The process continued until one of the elder monk’s students, before the elder monk had even finished his question, grabbed the stick out of his hand. That was the correct answer.

3 Likes