Anyone want to watch: Reply 1988?!

Greetings and Felicitations to all!

There is a Korean drama made a few years back called: Reply 1988.

It features several families living in the same neighborhood in 1988 before cell phones and internet, one of the characters is a Pro Baduk/GO player. It is a bit of comedy as well.

I have watched two episodes so far. So plenty of time to catch up. Why do I like it? Watch it and see!

Enjoy!

PS you can find it on several Asian drama sites.

6 Likes

Here is the scene that made me decide to watch itā€¦ Note it is not a show about GO.

5 Likes

Lol shes mean

2 Likes

Mean?? Really? How so??

I do love how she has no idea how to play, and her friend is a professional Baduk player. The playing in the grid is hilarious, along with his reaction. And the sheep bahing. Great!

2 Likes

I really enjoyed this clip!

2 Likes

Try the series. It has the South Korean charmā€¦

2 Likes

The go player is inspired from Lee ChangHo himself!

I love that soap opera, and I am lucky that my spouse translate it to me when we watch it together.

By the way, is there any english subtitles somewhere?

3 Likes

I watched it recently on Netflix, it has english subtitles there. I really enjoyed it, for many reasons, the regular Go-related content was a bonus. I donā€™t normally watch this sort of thing but found myself really drawn into it and engaged by the story. It is well made, the characters are likeable, there is quite a lot of humour as well as drama. Highly recommended.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80188351?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp

5 Likes

I loved this come back to that period Of history in a eastern country which by some sides were quite similar to what I lived in Europe and at same time some specifics Too
And Yes to enjoy the life of the young LeeChangHo in his family is a enjoyable bonus for us.
Thanks for the link, if working for me, I m up for a restart from the very beginning

3 Likes

The Taek character is only loosely based on Lee Chang-Ho, itā€™s not really biographical. There is an interview with Lee Chang-Ho where he mentions some of the aspects of Taekā€™s life that are different from how he lived at that age, here: https://mnews.joins.com/article/19181016#home

3 Likes

Interesting thank you for sharing I did not know there was some similarities between Taek and Lee Chang Ho.

3 Likes

Who was your favourite character and why for those who watched the show?

1 Like

Itā€™s hard to choose as many of the characters were so likeable. Overall, Sung Duk-seon was probably the character that made me smile or laugh the most.

1 Like

agreed they were all so likableā€¦ I always really laughed at Kim sung Kyun/alias President Kim!

1 Like

Yeah, his is an overtly comic character, with his outlandish salutes and irrepressible sense of humour. Makes a good duo with Sung Duk-seon.

Some of the others are not so obviously comic but still made me laugh, with the way they tell little lies to keep up appearances. Bo-ra is harsh and tough but has a good heart.

The music plays an important role too, together with the unseen goat (or is it a sheep) that emphasises the comic moments. The soundtracks are available on Spotify!

1 Like

the goat was hilariousā€¦ It was a drama with a lot of heart, warmth and comedy. What about the card game they play? Ive seen it in other K dramas.

1 Like

The game where the teacher gets caught cheating? I donā€™t know, I was also intrigued by that.

Itā€™s called ķ™”ķˆ¬ (čŠ±ęœ­, ćÆćŖ恵恠) or ź³ ģŠ¤ķ†± (literally go-stop). Itā€™s a fast-paced gambling card game traditionally played with 4 people. I think itā€™s derived from the Japanese card game Hanafuda(?), but with some changes. Personally, itā€™s not that fun because itā€™s too rng.

Thereā€™s actually an entire movie about professional gamblers playing this game. Itā€™s called Tazza (ķƒ€ģ§œ). Havenā€™t seen it, but I see memes of it floating around.

4 Likes

Sorry, whatā€™s rng?

1 Like

Luck, chance, fate, destiny, fluke, fortune, etc.
It stands for random number generation.

2 Likes