API retrieval of games

Hello,

This is related to the humble beginnings of my project at http://racetam.com/lzproblems/ where I generate random whole-board “go problems” taken from games on OGS (in a way inspired by the lichess.org puzzles).

Basically I want to retrieve games/lists of games according to certain parameters. I am not a web developer and so I’m very confused about how this is supposed to work. These questions are related to the /api/v1/games/ address:

1. Where can I find the “logic” of the retrieval query parameters documented properly?
  1. For example: are there other non-field query parameters other than ordering that can be used? Is there some support for including logic or simple expressions?
  2. … and what are all those __isnull, __gt, etc. Where are they all documented. I know they are on Django’s QuerySet page, but I assume that is documentation for the backend developers (you), not for someone like me who just wants to build a query URL. Because there are discrepancies, for example:
  3. I couldn’t get name__contains=... to work, yet name__icontains=... works. Why?
    name__contains=X => “Game has no field named contains” (confusing error message)
    name__icontains=X => { … games with x in title … }
  4. How do I do a “not-equals” match, for example outcome__notequals=Timeout.
  5. Is there expression support, can I somehow “split” the outcome field so I can match on the points alone (let’s say I want a list of games that were won by >20 points).

Basically I want to know how much of my logic can be offloaded into query parameters without having to do my own filtering/transforms after requesting/downloading dozens and dozens of pages…

1. How do I filter by “sub-object” properties, something like players.white.ratings.overall.rating for example? I tried various things like players.white.ratings.overall.rating__gt=... and players__white__ratings__overall__rating__gt=... but couldn’t make it work. I am failing to understand how this actually works.

players__white__ratings__overall__rating__gt=100 => “Player has no field named ‘overall’” (?? did it do some foreign key look-up here?)

1. [motivation for (2)] Why are the fields X_player_rank (and X_player_rating) sometimes just 0 in the game object, yet for players that are not 30 kyu. Inside the players.X sub-objects they do seem to actually have proper ratings/ranks.

2. Is there a way to get the result in a random order? I want a “random selection” of games given certain parameters. I tried ordering=random and ordering=? but neither seemed to work.

3. Are foreign key filtering supposed to work or not? Playing around with wanting to get a list of games with specific tournament settings I noticed I could quite easily get the server to hang and produce a “there is an unknown connection issue between Cloudflare and the origin web server” page… For example by using a filter such as tournament__board_size=19

4. The one question to trump all the previous ones: is there a simple way to just get the entire list of games without having to step through tens/hundreds/thousands of “pages”? I suppose then I could just download that and do my own N different kinds of filtering/logic… But I’d hate to do that when each of those are going to turn into god knows how many requests because it’s all paginated…

5. [related to above] …and then what happens if new games matching my query is added to the database while I’m on page=7 of some query… Does everything get shifted down/up depending on where the new game appeared in the list?

Thanks.

1 Like

I have another follow-up question, since I couldn’t figure out any of the above and just started mass-scraping, going through hundreds of pages:

1. I am getting a lot of duplicate entries when asking for games, why? (Games with same ID number.) My query is basically
    params = dict(annulled='false',
                  started__isnull='false',
                  ended__isnull='false',
                  tournament__isnull='false',
                  ranked='true',
                  handicap='0',
    #              white_player_rank__gt=24,
    #              black_player_rank__gt=24,
                  width=19,
                  height=19,
    #              ordering='??????????')

With name__icontains='main title' and page=X as well, where I count upward from 1 to infinity, but I am getting a ton of duplicate responses with this, which is unexpected.

Output from my script is like:

1804310 2d 3d Tournament Game: Honinbo Main Title Tournament 2015 (4470) R:1 (Fietsbel vs estrange) ... saved to 1804310.json
1804313 3d 3d Tournament Game: Honinbo Main Title Tournament 2015 (4470) R:1 (gojohn vs GreenLeaf) ... saved to 1804313.json
1804312 3d 3d Tournament Game: Honinbo Main Title Tournament 2015 (4470) R:1 (Ukasuhs vs gojohn) ... already exists
1804315 2d 3d Tournament Game: Honinbo Main Title Tournament 2015 (4470) R:1 (gojohn vs estrange) ... already exists
1804490 4k 3k Tournament Game: Honinbo Main Title Tournament 2015 (4470) R:1 (MatCauthon vs ravasz) ... saved to 1804490.json
5435452 11k 10k Tournament Game: Tianyuan Main Title Tournament 2014 (2503) R:3 (yazphier vs Misawa) ... already exists
5435464 7k 4k Tournament Game: Tianyuan Main Title Tournament 2014 (2503) R:3 (iLq vs Desolation) ... already exists
5435451 10k 10k Tournament Game: Tianyuan Main Title Tournament 2014 (2503) R:3 (orbitaleccentric vs Misawa) ... already exists
5435463 3k 4k Tournament Game: Tianyuan Main Title Tournament 2014 (2503) R:3 (Teldris vs tacololo) ... already exists
5435466 7k 7k Tournament Game: Tianyuan Main Title Tournament 2014 (2503) R:3 (Reemi vs Desolation) ... already exists
5435461 3k 3k Tournament Game: Tianyuan Main Title Tournament 2014 (2503) R:3 (tacololo vs mipli) ... already exists
5435465 7k 5k Tournament Game: Tianyuan Main Title Tournament 2014 (2503) R:3 (Lunnainn vs Desolation) ... already exists
5435453 9k 11k Tournament Game: Tianyuan Main Title Tournament 2014 (2503) R:3 (yazphier vs orbitaleccentric) ... already exists
5435469 4k 8k Tournament Game: Tianyuan Main Title Tournament 2014 (2503) R:3 (Reemi vs iLq) ... already exists
8372594 5k 3k Tournament Game: Honinbo Main Title Tournament 2015 (4470) R:3 (Celebrir vs dudu888) ... saved to 8372594.json

Also, what is etiquette on this forum, should I instead be splitting each question into its own post?

0 Likes

Did you ever figure any of this out?

0 Likes

:zombie:

0 Likes

Even though this thread is probably dead - have you tried the socket API? With socket.io:

this.socket.emit("gamelist/query", { list: 'live', from: 0, limit: 5, sort_by: 'rank' }, (data) => { // stuff })

I haven’t found documentation for “list” and “sort_by” values yet.

0 Likes

there is no real documentation.

for list you have 'live' and 'corr' according to the reference implementation (website)

since we have no joice how to sort the games on OGS I think the api doesn’t support other values neither.

0 Likes