Art & Go

Wheat straw painting

5 Likes

Artist unknown

6 Likes

There is only one reference to weiqi in this book. On page 1 of the introduction there is a reference to the first Sino-Japanese cinematic joint venture of a movie titled The Go Masters, which was released in 1982.

In the Introduction Joshua A. Fogel writes:

“Following the reforms put in place by Deng Xiaoping (1904–97) and the opening up of China, the first cinematic Sino-Japanese joint venture was a movie entitled The Go-Masters (1982). It covers in sweeping, colossal fashion several decades in the lives a Chinese and a Japanese, both renowned go (Chinese, weiqi) masters whose bond forged through a shared passion for this ancient game transcends politics, war, family safety, and just about everything else. Through personal trials and the devastations of World War II, it is ultimately the individual ties sealed in this cultural mold that continue when all else is gone. Implied is not only the fundamental fact that the insane policies of their respective governments—be it the imperialist invasions of the Japanese or the domestic upheavals of the Chinese, both involving unspeakable mass murder—have proven to be devastating failures in every way, but that the only meaningful, lasting ties between the two peoples are the personal, cultural ones formed in the manner of the two men. As the film comes to a close, the two men, after many years of separation, pick up their game where they left off before devastation ravaged the continent.
Romance and melodrama aside, The Go-Masters offers some interesting instruction in Sino-Japanese cultural relations. There was a time not too long ago when the cultural interactions between Japan and China from the late nineteenth century through World War II were generally known to be important but still relatively unstudied. Although an enormous amount of work remains to be done, those many scholarly lacunae are gradually now being filled by scholars in China, Japan, Korea, and the West. One large area that particularly calls out for serious attention, though, is the realm of art history.”

I am not 100% sure, but this might very well the movie that I referred to.

More on go in movies:

1 Like

So how many of these pictures have a REAL game in them (i.e. a game without irrational structures) :grin:

5 Likes

Or these?

1 Like

Hard to answer. From my point of view (6k) many pro games contain irrational structures.
:grin:

1 Like

Manga go

1 Like

Dotty baduk

3 Likes

Maybe computers are using QR codes to secretly play go.

7 Likes

Nothing secret about that.

The QR code system was invented in 1994 by Masahiro Hara from the Japanese company Denso Wave.[5][6][7] The initial design was influenced by the black and white pieces on a Go board.[8] Its purpose was to track vehicles during manufacturing; it was designed to allow high-speed component scanning.[9]

4 Likes

Art from thread “I used AI to …”

Source

(I used an AI to make paintings using only the terms “Baduk” and “Weiqi.” Thoughts?)

3 Likes

More Art from thread “I used AI to …”

2 Likes

Lovely go related art in topic

My favourites:

10 Likes

the 31 illustrations “go & animals” are finished :smiley:
You can discover them on my blog and on the shop (prints and calendar 2023)

8 Likes

Etsy weiqi

6 Likes

Project Euler Art

Source

Project Euler / programming problems - #433 by shinuito

1 Like

And some more OGS Forums art

Edit: one more

4 Likes

AI generated go art

Source

https://forums.online-go.com/t/i-used-an-ai-to-make-paintings-using-only-the-terms-baduk-and-weiqi-thoughts/39530

Might be fanorona?

1 Like