Articles from Sensei's Library

https://senseis.xmp.net/?PlayingAGameBackwards

Cool completed project from the early 2000s, a reverse analysis of a game * from the end to the beginning.

(* “a fast game on IGS … full of stupid mistakes at all stages”)

https://senseis.xmp.net/?IgoRanksExplanationMathAndEstimation

This is an interesting – if rambly – read, a 2014 attempt to uncover the level of strength difference between dan-level amateurs, insei of different classes, and professionals new and seasoned.

Go was probably brought to Japan from Korea by artists, scholars and former officials who migrated to Japan to escape political turmoil in their own land. There are no written records verifying the precise date of Go’s introduction into Japan, but according to the “Records of the Sui,” the chronicle of a Chinese dynasty (597-618), Go was one of the three major pastimes enjoyed by early 7th-century Japanese (the other two were backgammon and gambling).

In contrast to the documentary evidence from Chinese historical records, the popular belief in Japan is that Go was brought directly from China in the year 735 by Kibi no Makibi, popularly known as Grand Minister Kibi. He was sent to the Tang capital of Chang-an with a commission from Emperor Shomu’s daughter, who succeeded to her father’s throne as the Empress Koken, to bring the best of Tang learning back to Japan. After 18 years in China, Kibi returned with a cargo of artifacts representing his choice of the best of Chinese culture. He also brought back a knowledge of Go.

While Go was undoubtedly one of many games enjoyed by the upper classes of early 7th-century Japan before Kibi’s return from Chang-an, it is probable that when he informed those at the Imperial court of Go’s popularity at the Tang court, Go was elevated to a special status, resulting in its establishment as a game worthy of the Japanese nobility. It is safe to say that while Kibi did not introduce Go to Japan, he was responsible for its achieving the great prestige it has enjoyed here.

All information attributed to “Bozulich, 1999”.

Hah, a year after the article was created, someone snuck in and capitalised every single “go”.

https://senseis.xmp.net/?GoProdigy

I’m starting to think I’ve run out of good SL articles to read.

I keep coming onto the same topics:

• sparse pages on professionals (and I’ve made a lot of those :D)
  • tsumego & solutions
  • small homepages
  • 2000s-era fuseki theory
  • abandoned bots and servers
  • ancient discussions about KGS

It might be the end for this thread.

Oh, and L19 is full of dry mathematical endgame debates. They apparently have a continual appeal.

1 Like

“dry”

I want to say borderline crackpottish.

In terms of looking for articles to read I don’t know. In terms of ones that could be updated, I wonder how in date the ones on Go servers are? Like the ones about Wbdauk, Fox, etc.

Since YouTube has been quite popular lately there’s possibly links to how to make accounts etc that might not be on there.

The servers themselves couldn’t be bothered to update their website and client for foreign players.

Like tips how to set up a Go channel?

1 Like

By the way, I did rediscover an interesting article yesterday: Ian Davis’ “short essay on the decline of Go in the UK”.

3 Likes

Coming together is an essay on kgs decline.

The part on fake ranking with bots is pretty interesting . Or how to make strong players run away…

I think many of his observations on the BGA also apply to the NGoB (Dutch go association) and probably many other go associations. That makes me sad. But I wouldn’t really know how it could be fixed.

1 Like

We revived the Article of the Week for the first time since 2014.

Check it on the front page~

2 Likes

It’s soon going to be easier to make SL a part of OGS as to reunite KGS and OGS. (Joking).

Nice initiative .

https://senseis.xmp.net/?TheFirstRecordedDualLadderBreaker

I finished adding Chinese professionals to Sensei’s.

I think you should now be able to search for at least 95% of Chinese pros and get something.

Still, you might as well use the Perfect Weiqi Database since the information is copied out of there (or from Go4Go in the lesser articles).

Also, yuzukitea is updating the page on 4-4 joseki.

1 Like

Honestly you’re probably undervaluing how useful it would be (will be) to have a sensei library stub or page with a romanised version of Chinese Pro Names and the actual Chinese characters themselves.

Obviously it’s more effort to fill in things about them, but still even that is a good start to looking for more information on them. In particular searching for things in Chinese (or other languages) when not knowing the language is tough, and can involve a lot of google translate or other resources :slight_smile:

The list of Chinese professionals is what you’re looking for. It’s a recent addition based on a Chinese wikipedia page.

One thing I was thinking would be useful is a big table of Korean names converted between a few major romanisations. Korean romanisation is a bit of a cow.

1 Like

Yeah the big list is of course helpful, but I don’t think google spits out that page as a result, at least not near the top anyway.

As an example I google “Yu Fei senseis library”, who’s supposed to be a 1p from the list you linked with no go4go, then I get the stub page, as a first result but not the list of all Chinese players.

Maybe that’s a coincidence but I don’t feel like trying it with every person :stuck_out_tongue:

The Yu Fei page has the hanzi on it, though, which I thought was what you were trying to find.

What’s the issue?

At the very top:

于飞, b. 1984-07-27

Giving the chinese writing of japanese or korean players, and reverse, is very useful for videos, books…
If not you put away all the reports on international titles, the comentaries on matches played im other countries, the author of a translated book etc…

1 Like