Ask questions over Sensei's Library ChatGPT-style

From the TOS:

Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS.

Could it be a translation for “miai”?

1 Like

Seems possible, although

• I’ve never seen “equivalence” used in that sense.
  • I wouln’t say that miai is a skill.
1 Like

Still not following.

To be clear: I know it’s against the terms of service to use computer help.

What I’m unclear about is what it has to do with what I suggested. In case it wasn’t clear, I did not mean to suggest that you could use this tool to aid you in ongoing games. I intended to suggest that you can give it “reasoning” abilities by hooking it up to a go engine that would allow you to ask those kinds of questions (and hopefully you don’t ask it those kinds of questions during an ongoing game).

1 Like

Update: I’ve changed the underlying model to GPT-4. Let’s see if it performs better (it hallucinates less).

2 Likes

Done :white_check_mark:

1 Like

Whether or not you “intended” it, the point is that it could be used to cheat, which would be illegal on OGS. Since you failed to point that out, I decided to do so, lest some naive newcomer thinks it’s okay.

Are you also pointing it out whenever someone mentions KataGo, Leela, Gnu Go (or any of the other myriad computer aids) and “fails” to mention that it’s not allowed to use these things during live games?

You can chalk my “failure” to mention it up to assuming good common sense.

What you’re saying is akin to saying that people should mention that it’s “it’s illegal to shoot at people for no good reason” whenever they talk about guns. You’re not wrong, but it depends on the context.

3 Likes

dan

1 Like

@stone.defender does that source lead to an actual page when you click it?

Source code available at https://replit.com/@EmileSilvis/Sensei-Library-QandA.

2 Likes

Of course not. Your comparison falls flat, however, because the capability as described is something new and would not be the same as ordinary botting if used in a game. It sounds like it wouldn’t even necessarily lead to “best” moves. Some people might think this makes it okay to use in a game, and consequently I believe it was worthwhile to remind people of the TOS in this instance. I’m sorry if you cannot follow that.

Some people think the earth is flat—nothing I can do about that.

Fair enough. I’ll add a disclaimer and link to the TOS.

No need to be sorry :wink:

1 Like

Nobody asked you to do anything about it. You were the one who said, “I’m not sure I am following,” when I reminded people of the TOS. In response, I illustrated the point by giving the specific reference to the TOS. It could have ended there, but you chose to continue this argument. Since you made a weak analogy to try to discredit me, I explained the reasoning in detail. I believe the TOS reminder was worthwhile, and you don’t. So be it.

I think there’s been a bit of a misunderstanding here.

This thread is discussing a third-party tool on Sensei’s Library, not something directly tied to OGS. Therefore, our ToS here at OGS aren’t directly relevant to this specific topic. While concerns about potential misuse of any Go-related tools are important, they don’t necessarily apply in this context. Let’s steer our conversation back to discussing the ChatGPT extension to Sensei’s Library itself. Thanks for your understanding and let’s continue to keep our discussions focused and respectful.

11 Likes

I look forward to the day LLMs learn to cite their sources

Agreed. Not proud of how I’ve contributed to the direction the discussion took, so happy to get back on topic.

4 Likes

Bumping the thread with this.

I’m curious if people find a difference in the quality of the answers with GPT-4.

5 Likes

Certainly less wrong than before regarding the bent four. The answer appears identical to before for my Japanese/Chinese rules question.

Question: What is the status of the bent four?

Answer: The bent four is a live shape, meaning that it can form two eyes and survive. However, if a bent four appears in the corner, the status of the group may be different. In Japanese Go rules, bent four in the corner is considered dead. In actual play, black can turn a bent four in the corner into a Ko fight.

Sources

Question: What is the main difference between the Japanese and Chinese rules?

Answer: The main difference between Japanese and Chinese rules lies in the way they handle unique situations such as bent four in the corner, triple ko, etc. Traditional Japanese rules have special rules for these situations, whereas traditional Chinese rules do not have as fine control of komi, meaning they discard the low-order bit of the score-difference.

Sources

3 Likes

Huge improvement!

6 Likes