Atari notification

It is. And that is one of the reasons I am against such a “feature”. I believe that it hinders people from improving.

5 Likes

It’s at least a bit unclear to me that this would hinder learning. It’s certainly plausible that it could do that, but there’s at least a small chance that it might help learning by forcing you to notice the atari right when it happens.

1 Like

I’m skeptical that it would help learning, but I don’t really see it as a reason to push back on the feature.

There are so many ways one can not to learn to play Go lol. Should we force players to review their games too? Do their daily tsumego?

The real reason is that we don’t want to spread wrong ideas about the nature of go game. Giving a notification at each atari sends the wrong message that saving every stone is important.
No one is forced to review games or to practice tsumego, but the fact that tools are there also sends the message that reviewing or practicing tsumego is useful (whether you want to do that or not).

5 Likes

I remember my very first few games of go, when I couldn’t see ataris. That “oh shit! my stones were in atari” feeling was one I wouldn’t want to miss as it motivated me to get better.

3 Likes

I’ve seen people running all the stones once they are in atari, even those in ladder. I’m sure we don’t want that happening.

That being said, some kind of notification for atari is quite common in beginner apps.

1 Like