Audio updates v2

Yes it’s there on the settings page

3 Likes

So many new options… thanks!

4 Likes

I encounter some bugs/annoyances:

• On game page I don’t get any sound if the volume was 0 when the page was loaded. Changing the volume in the right panel doesn’t activate the sound. (Firefox desktop and mobile)

• When the volume is active, moving the slider to 0 doesn’t prevent the sounds from being played. The sounds are played inaudible at 0 volume. On mobile this causes my music app to stop each time a player makes a move, although OGS doesn’t produce any audible sound.

• On the settings page I have to select a voice/sound option first. Without explicit selecting one, no sound is played when pressing the play button.

• The order of the individual sound options is strange. Last period if far away of 2-5 period, black wins, white wins and tie are far away from each other, while the user probably wants to alter all of them, not only one. We should probably find a more intuitive order. Alphabetic order isn’t very helpful, especially if not reordered when translated.
    It’s note clear to me what the sound options byoyomi and period are for, since there are seperate options for overtime and 1-5 periods left.

I like the stone sound floor goban (room) the most.

4 Likes

Great! Thank you!

4 Likes

One thing I wasn’t expecting was that with earphones if I put a stone on the left side of the board I hear it in my left ear, and on the right my right ear.

There’s something slightly uncomfortable about that. Actually initially I thought I broke my earphones.

Maybe it makes sense in some situations?

3 Likes

It shouldn’t be that strong of an effect, but maybe it’s too much still? Or maybe that feature is just undesirable. I reckon I need to add an option to disable it in any case.

2 Likes

The new sounds are a great improvement, the old ones were really stress inducing for me so I always had them silent. I’m looking forward to having the sound up with the new ones!
I was going to mention the settings page being a bit of a disaster now. It doesn’t play at all nicely on Chrome Android! Most of the labels are cut off on the left. But since you’re all over it already, I’ll just say keep up the amazing work!
Thank you

6 Likes

Ah, I can kind of hear it now.

Maybe a lower pitched and duller alternative? Like a sample of a hand knocking on wood rather than an actual stone sample. I also like the idea of making another version of the currently available “Effects” sound - a more digital sound without variation.

Just some ideas. Anything would be awesome!

5 Likes

amazing! thank you!

5 Likes

I feel an urge to mention how I LURVE that it’s actually English!
British English, that is, even though they’re sadly leaving the EU …

… due to

nope, I’m not getting political here :grin:

6 Likes

Are there any plans to add voices for other languages (such as Japanese or Korean) later down the line?

3 Likes

Yep several languages, japanese and korean included. I’ll be adding those in pretty soon, I just want to iron out the current stuff and make sure we have all the phrases we want before going through the translation, recording, and processing process for all the other languages.

4 Likes

:heart:

4 Likes

Hey Anoek,

I mentioned not getting any sounds 2 days ago, its working now!
Thanks for the fix, loving the new sounds.

4 Likes

Yeah I guess it isn’t too strong of an effect, I think I just had my earphones up too loud initially and wasn’t expecting it.

I’m not necessarily against it, it was just something that I noticed and the banner on the main site was there at the same time for this forum thread.

4 Likes

Awesome work, especially the 5 and 3 second countdowns. I still like the room stones and effects from V1 best, but now everyone can pick.

• Doubling of ‘game start’ alert when multiple tabs are open
  • Overlapping of some sounds effects, for example the stone sounds and the soft-ticking often overlap if byoyomi is set to less than the soft-ticking time, along with the ‘game finished’ and ‘score stones’ alerts.
  • When sounds load for the first time they can sometimes ‘clip’, like the fade in has been cut off.
  • I’m not sure what the ‘Effects’ drop down list does. Effects and Effects(2012) both sound the same to me when I hit the play arrow, and they don’t seem to affect my game sounds.
  • Subjective, but I actually preferred the simple V1 bowl-lid game end sound to this new one with the stones being cleared, it had a simple finality to it. The new one takes a bit too long, just like the end of an actual OTB game!
  • This one is very picky and subjective, but it would be nice to have a better pass effect that matches the other board sounds. Beeps go well with the online elements like disconnection, but are a bit jarring with the pass. The voice is okay, but gets annoying when a lot of passes are happening. Maybe something like a finger double tap on the board, like a check in poker? Even a subtle bell, like on pandanet, would feel more organic.
1 Like

Is this a bad thing though? I can’t think of an example where a lot of passes are happening and it isn’t user error… so maybe it should be annoying?

1 Like

excellent work!!! I love it. thank you so very much! fantastic!

5 Likes

I guess I find the pass voice alert annoying in general. I think I can narrow it down to a feeling that the announcer should be like an announcer in pro tournaments. I want them to keep me informed of useful info like time remaining, but ‘pass’ and the other signals from my opponent are outside of their domain.
This is super granular! But it does fit the pattern of all the voice alerts I’ve found annoying and turned off.

2 Likes

Well if you don’t like it in general, that’s a different issue to the voice only being annoying when it comes up a lot. If you think she shouldn’t announce passes, just turn that setting off (or change it to a beep) :slight_smile:

1 Like