Audio updates v2

Well if you don’t like it in general, that’s a different issue to the voice only being annoying when it comes up a lot. If you think she shouldn’t announce passes, just turn that setting off (or change it to a beep) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please don’t default voices on for random stuff… I’ve been leaving my games up for years, and now all of a sudden I have to go find settings to turn voices off.

2 Likes

If a setting is annoying, it’s easy enough to go turn it off… but if a setting is off by default, nobody is going to go look for it… there are many features on our site that a lot of people don’t know exist simply because they’re not on by default.

7 Likes

Well, I don’t like the voice, and I don’t like the beeps, but I still want a sound for it. I guess that’s my feedback on that one particular alert. But like I said, I know it’s very picky and not very important, just a throwaway suggestion, so no worries. I love pretty much everything else about this update.

2 Likes

stones sound good!

3 Likes

I have a specific request on a sort-of-a-bug fix.

When I choose to use “Submit-move button” in Correspondence Submit Move, the stone placement sound sounds when the stone is placed on my screen before the actual submission to the game.

Please make this so that the effect sounds when the submit-move button is clicked.

This sort-of anomaly made me not realizing that I haven’t actually placed the stone many times in the past, forcing the opponent to wait much longer than intended when Live games are played using the Corres mode (so that players can play whenever they are both online and leave the board whenever they want).

6 Likes

I hadn’t thought of this, and at first thought “weird idea”, but actually I too have forgotten to press submit, and I can see how this would help. Clicking on the board is not placing a stone, for submit move button mode!

2 Likes

I rarely play on my pc with the sound on but you’ve made me realise that when I do this happens to me every time and you’ve nailed the solution with this!

1 Like

@Tokumoto @Eugene @teapoweredrobot @anoek

proposal: for double click and submit botton modes, the first click places an X on the intersection with no sound… and confirmation places the stone with the sound… thoughts?

2 Likes

X or an empty circle with a + in it, would be better, if it’s not too much of a trouble.

6 Likes

This would be great.

2 Likes

I like the new sounds very much!

3 Likes

Fixed

Agreed, I wen’t back and forth on this, but yeah I just updated them to make more sense and it’s better.

Interesting, I’ll try and fix these.

These are great suggestions, I’ll implement both.

8 Likes

Also I added a short vibrate effect on mobile devices when a stone is placed, let me know what y’all think. You can turn it off in settings of course.

6 Likes

If a setting is annoying, it’s easy enough to go turn it off… but if a setting is off by default, nobody is going to go look for it… there are many features on our site that a lot of people don’t know exist simply because they’re not on by default.

Reminds me of the attitude of websites that used to auto-play music when you open them up. :rage:

If you can’t imagine how else to make a user aware of a feature… :cry:

Awesome job! It’s customization like this that is going to put OGS above the rest I feel. :smile:

7 Likes

Yeah the counting up I felt wasn’t “right” yet, or at least quite horrible… but it was an odd concept for me anyways so I wasn’t sure what the expectation actually was I suppose. Yours sounds better.

2 Likes

It should be like this shouldn’t it?
https://www.britgo.org/bgj/10643

“30 seconds, no time left;
40 seconds, no time left;
50 seconds;
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.”

1 Like

Yep, I think that’s pretty much what @S_Alexander described. I don’t think I want to deal with the followup “no time left” / “6 minutes left” (or “6 periods left”) unless it turns out folks really want that, but I think that’d be a bit too much chatter for an online game. The way it counts up though, I’ll make it match.

3 Likes

If i make it count up starting from 60 seconds but use byo-yomis over 1 minute, the countdown goes down instead up.

If i try to use old amy voice for counting to 60, it hops to claire after “ten.” Guess there isnt amyvoices from 11 onward?

2 Likes