Beginner Testing Wanted

Could use some user testing for the first stage of the campaign mode on Tsumego Dragon. Ideally you are ~1<month old Go player. My questions are, is it beatable? Is is easy to understand? Did it help your game? The stage is the Goblin Camp, which is free.

2 Likes

I’ve showed it to a 9-year-old who has played some go before, but hasn’t done many puzzles. She started to struggle with the capturing races, but was motivated by stars. Connecting came easier to her. We went up to the double threats, but then I stopped her cause of screen time.

She needed my help, but we didn’t use the hints. She can’t read English, but also wasn’t interested in me translating the texts.

2 Likes

Is there any reason you chose not to use the hints?

1 Like

In this situation, being together with the player, I will do the same because trusting more myself as the website suggestions.

Not arguing about the contents, just by the fact to be more fitted to the situation

1 Like

I don’t like hints personally when doing tsumego. But I told her now that it’s possible. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hints have usually been part of teaching, thing is to give as few as possible. You show a clamp tesuji and then may offer 10 clamp tesuji problems with no hint. You can still give the example as a problem before giving the hint (if necessary.).

2 Likes

The hint is there so you don’t get stuck and can’t proceed. But you can only get 3 stars if you do not use hints and do not make any mistakes. That was the balance I came up with.

2 Likes