Being Psychologically afraid of a player I lost to in 2 straight games or more

I don’t know if that did happen to anyone of you, but sometime when I play a player, roughly the same as my ranking, that I have lost to in consecutive games, I become kinda afraid of another loss, so I lose my confidence and play some sort of weird moves that I don’t normally play or I take extra uncalculated risk. I find it a bit hard to get my mind cleared and open.

4 Likes

It can happen, but I think that the easiest solution is to make fun of it (we are playing a game after all, it is not as if anything really hangs on the result of the games). I have this record against this player:

Screenshot_10

And I’ve lost to him another 9 times in other platforms. What I usually did when we played is tell him in the chat that “I am here to expand the straight loses to 19 in a row” or that “your best client has arrived, where’s my coupon?” and silly stuff like that, to which he plays along as well.

And I still lose. Jokes don’t add to my Go skills after all.
But we are both having fun while at it :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I try to remember that outcomes are pretty random for similarly ranked players.

Even if you challenge this player to coin-flipping instead of Go, you will still see strings of consecutive losses, so those losses aren’t necessarily a mark of your own skill.

Keep playing- you will win some. And if you don’t, there is always handicap…

8 Likes

Vitas Gerulaitis lost to Jimmy Connors 16 times in a row, before finally beating him in their 17th match. Afterwards, Vitas proclaimed, “And let that be a lesson to you all. No one beats Vitas Gerulaitis 17 times in a row.”

14 Likes

2 games is not a lot but it’s normal to lose consecutively to a player. In that case, the important thing is to take a break. You can also play other people in the meantime just to gain back confidence. If it helps, OGS has the zen mode where you just see the board and not the opponent’s name. I think it’s a good option for those who are psychologically afraid of their opponents.

5 Likes

Should I be afraid of myself? :wink:

2 Likes

If that was mirror Go, you need an Edudrebu account. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Or ɘbubɿɘdu

3 Likes

Another thing is it’s good to get these games well reviewed so that you relativize your defeat
and strenghten your weaknesses he maybe founded and reached to use.
Good challenge in perspective.

3 Likes