BenGoZen's article on "teaching" go

BenGoZen had a really nice article recently about “teaching” go (in the sense of introducing beginners rather than strengthening students).

Some very nice points to keep in mind for when we reach out to complete beginners to introduce them to the game.

Old link:
http://www.bengozen.com/teach-go/

13 Likes

A capture go rules set would be nice.

Most stones on the board plus captures. I would say to make it a free game with a fixed clock according to board size (nine minutes, 13 minutes and 19 minutes.)

It would allow people to discover the rules rather than to be guided.

3 Likes

The link provided by @yebellz is awesome. As someone who feels incredibly uncomfortable in the role of ‘teacher’, I really liked this link. Unashamedly reawakening this topic. Let’s resume talking about how to teach Go. For me BenGoZen’s article highlights the difference between teaching and coaching.

7 Likes

Thanks for the necro, I’ll save this for later. Looks like a good read but don’t have the time right now.

EDIT: read it, loved it, shared it everywhere :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I thought that it may be worthwhile to bump this thread again. I really like BenGoZen’s advice on how to introduce new players to the game.

1 Like

Thanks for reviving this thread, @yebellz !

Well, I have definitely been a bad teacher so far… My partner won’t play anymore. :confused:
I’ll try to keep BenGoZen’s advice in mind for the next time I’ll have a chance to introduce someone to the game.

2 Likes

I tried to read it but the original link seemed dead. If I am not mistaken, the referenced article can now be found using this link instead: How to Teach Go | BenGoZen

7 Likes

@yebellz , maybe you could update the link in the first post? :slight_smile:

My own update: My partner started playing again last year in autumn; and I also played a teaching game with a friend who had been playing for a short while and who found it “very helpful”. :smile:

5 Likes

Thank you, @mark5000, for fixing the link

2 Likes