Blitz Automatch Button Questions

So I am currently setting up the registration page for the Western Server Challenge 2024 which starts in March. One thing I want to encourage is the use of the auto match buttons. I’ve run into a couple issues though.

1: I have no idea what the time settings are. I cannot find this explained anywhere. I think this should be very obviously written down somewhere. Maybe have a ? icon that shows a mini popup that explains the time settings and stuff.

2: If I understand it correctly, there is a bug in that when you click the blitz button, the average time is 10s a move which is counted as a live game instead of a blitz game. It is my wish that this bug be fixed before March as I think many people might feel less pressure about messing up their rank if it is their blitz rank instead of their live rank that gets butchered for playing 100 games. :laughing:

3: This is more a feature request, but in the game window, I would like the rank that it displayed in the player’s time section to be the rank within the time settings they are using. For example, the blitz rank is shown for blitz games, and the live rank is shown for live games.

@GreenAsJade have I mentioned how much I love the work you do? :heart: :rofl: Sorry for always asking for more things!

Edit: If changing the 10s to blitz instead of live is a lot of work due to how the rankings are checking players history, then why not make the blitz button be ~9 seconds a move instead of ~10 seconds a move? I think this would be a much easier fix in theory.

2 Likes

It probably should be added to something like the docs alright. I don’t know them so testing below:

Testing on beta with 9x9 games

Time Controls for Blitz:

• Japanese Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 1 minute main time, followed by 3 10 seconds periods.
  • Fischer: Clock starts with 20 seconds and increments by 10 seconds per move up to a maximum of 30 seconds.
  • Canadian Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 1 minute main time, followed by 5 minutes per 30 stones.

Testing on beta with 13x13 games

Time Controls for Blitz:

• Japanese Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 3 minutes main time, followed by 4 10 seconds periods.
  • Fischer: Clock starts with 20 seconds and increments by 10 seconds per move up to a maximum of 30 seconds.
  • Canadian Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 3 minutes main time, followed by 5 minutes per 30 stones.

Testing with 19x19 games on beta

Time Controls for Blitz:

• Japanese Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 5 minutes main time, followed by 5 10 seconds periods.
  • Fischer: Clock starts with 30 seconds and increments by 10 seconds per move up to a maximum of 1 minute.
  • Canadian Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 5 minutes main time, followed by 5 minutes per 30 stones.

The only rank that actually matters for matchmaking is the overall rank, which will be affected by both blitz and live games. The other ranks in the table on your profile are all cosmetic in a sense with respect to matchmaking, though they can still be indicative of strength when representing a good number of games since they’re updated with the opponents overall rank afaik.

In any case, in terms of fixing it, the suggested fix was

where that would drop the time settings down to 9s per move on average to be below the blitz threshold, but that hasn’t happened as far as I’m aware.

I think generally though the overall rank is supposed to be the best predictor of games, so it makes sense to show that rather than the individual ranks. I guess the relevant thread was

1 Like

I’ve decided to update the docs and add more info. Apologies if there’s any transcription errors. Feel free to update if there’s some typos or it doesn’t match your experience.

Automatch Time controls

Blitz Japanese Byo-yomi Fischer Canadian Byo-yomi
9x9 1m+3x10s 20s+10s up to 30s 1m+5m/30
13x13 3m+4x10s 20s+10s up to 30s 3m+5m/30
19x19 5m+5x10s 30s+10s up to 1m 5m+5m/30
Normal Japanese Byo-yomi Fischer Canadian Byo-yomi
9x9 5m+5x30s 3m+30s up to 5m 5m+5m/10
13x13 10m+4x30s 3m+30s up to 5m 10m+5m/10
19x19 20m+5x30s 3m+30s up to 5m 20m+5m/10
Correspondence Japanese Byo-yomi Fischer Canadian Byo-yomi
9x9 3d+3x1d 3d+1d up to 1w 3d+3d/3
13x13 5d+5x1d 3d+1d up to 1w 5d+5d/5
19x19 1w+5x1d 3d+1d up to 1w 1w+5d/5
Worded/copied from game info

Blitz

9x9

• Japanese Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 1 minute main time, followed by 3 10 seconds periods.
  • Canadian Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 1 minute main time, followed by 5 minutes per 30 stones.

13x13

• Japanese Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 3 minutes main time, followed by 4 10 seconds periods.
  • Canadian Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 3 minutes main time, followed by 5 minutes per 30 stones.

19x19

• Japanese Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 5 minutes main time, followed by 5 10 seconds periods.
  • Fischer: Clock starts with 30 seconds and increments by 10 seconds per move up to a maximum of 1 minute.
  • Canadian Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 5 minutes main time, followed by 5 minutes per 30 stones.

Normal

9x9

• Japanese Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 5 minutes main time, followed by 5 30 seconds periods.
  • Fischer: Clock starts with 3 minutes and increments by 30 seconds per move up to a maximum of 5 minutes.
  • Canadian Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 5 minutes main time, followed by 5 minutes per 10 stones.

13x13

• Japanese Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 10 minutes main time, followed by 4 30 seconds periods.
  • Fischer: Clock starts with 3 minutes and increments by 30 seconds per move up to a maximum of 5 minutes.
  • Canadian Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 10 minutes main time, followed by 5 minutes per 10 stones.

19x19

• Japanese Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 20 minutes main time, followed by 5 30 seconds periods.
  • Canadian Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 20 minutes main time, followed by 5 minutes per 10 stones.

Correspondence

9x9

• Japanese Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 3 days main time, followed by 3 1 day periods. Pauses on weekends.
  • Fischer: Clock starts with 3 days and increments by 1 day per move up to a maximum of 1 week. Pauses on weekends.
  • Canadian Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 3 days main time, followed by 3 days per 3 stones. Pauses on weekends.

13x13

• Japanese Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 5 days main time, followed by 5 1 day periods. Pauses on weekends.
  • Fischer: Clock starts with 3 days and increments by 1 day per move up to a maximum of 1 week. Pauses on weekends.
  • Canadian Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 5 days main time, followed by 5 days per 5 stones. Pauses on weekends.

19x19

• Japanese Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 1 week main time, followed by 5 1 day periods. Pauses on weekends.
  • Canadian Byo-Yomi: Clock starts with 1 week main time, followed by 5 days per 5 stones. Pauses on weekends.

Finding & Starting a Game · online-go/online-go.com Wiki · GitHub

6 Likes

its almost as crazy as Absolute time control

1 Like

It’s still about 10s per stone, but you can divide it up a bit more than byo yomi I suppose :slight_smile:

its not possible to plan 30 stones ahead in blitz. Its better to decrease time, but don’t have more than 10 stones.