Blitz Game Problem

Here’s a list of guesses of what I think are the thresholds for Blitz settings irrespective of the board size. The only issue is that this is going by what the game history symbols are classifying as Blitz/Live as opposed to what the ratings algorithm might be doing.

Now I imagine since the various functions I highlighted are being imported, they aren’t randomly different for different aspects of the site but who knows. I was going to thrash my own rating by testing with rated games but so far I haven’t.

Byo-yomi or Fischer

Main Time Increment example game Size Comment on example
<90s=1.5m 9s -
<180s=3m 8s Testing Time Controls 9x9 On the boundary 3m+1x8s counted as live
<270s=4.5m 7s -
<360s=6m 6s Testing Time Controls 9x9 5m+1x6s counted as Blitz
≤5m 4s -
≤5m 3s -
≤5m 2s -

You can’t actually set more than 5mins main time in the Blitz settings of custom match so I’ve just left the table saying ≤5mins there.

I also expect Byo-yomi and Fischer to behave the same from the above code, I don’t think the cap on the main time is taken into account.

Here’s a game just to point out how absolutely ludicrous the method of classifying Live and Blitz games are at the moment.

The fact that it just completely ignores the number of byo-yomi periods means you can do something stupid like this and have it counted as Blitz

0s+100x9s byo-yomi *is* Blitz

1 Like