Blitz games categorized as live

So they start off “Blitz” and end up coming back “Live” eh?

I agree, this should be fixed in the back end - you can create rather slow blitz games and very fast Live ones.

1 Like

Just noticed it’s still like that actually (19x19), 2 mins main time and 5x10s byo-yomi counted as live in the game history.

1 Like

Yeah, the pull request wasn’t merged. We have to wait for a fix in the back end.

2 Likes

Just saying, for me everything below 30s byoyomi is blitz with the quality of my connection…

1 Like

Blitz games are still not being categorised properly

I wonder if @moderators would want to merge the new thread into the old one? It’s the same issue

//moderator note: done, thanks

Thanks @AdamR! -ben

1 Like

When I use the blitz quickmatch button with fischer time in the preferences (30s +10s per move up to 1 minute) the games get counted in the “normal” live category but not in the blitz category. Is this intended?

1 Like

Old known issue, didn’t get enough complaints to be considered as urgent is my guess.

1 Like

OK, well here’s another complaint. This is really annoying! I have played loads of “blitz” games but my blitz rating is unset because they have all been counted as live. This is skewing my live rating as I play worse on blitz. So anyone wanting to see how well I play live or blitz will see misleading information in my rating breakdown by time settings, thus leading to a kind of unintentional sandbagging under live time settings.

It seems the fix for this is relatively simple - just move the threshold between live and blitz. But where to move to? The obvious place is the maximum time settings available under the blitz heading, which is about 5m+5x10s IIRC. This is still very fast, resulting in a 19x19 game that takes less than 25 mins. That way, all blitz games are counted as blitz games, most live games with usual (~30s/move ~ 1hr total) time settings will be counted as live and the only discrepancy will be very fast “live” games being counted as blitz. However, it seems easier to accept a very fast live game being counted as blitz, than it is to accept a game specifically set up as blitz being counted as live.

6 Likes

It got complaints, it got a fix, but apparently resurfaced. (Source: the thread I posted in my first comment and the PR linked in that thread)

I see there’s no issue open on GitHub, might be worth reporting there. (github issue here: Blitz games displaying live icon · Issue #1174 · online-go/online-go.com · GitHub). Or moving this topic into “bug reports” category.

Edit: clarify that the PR also has relevant info

Didn’t read any fix just a pull request on github.

Did you look at the comments on the pull request?

anoek commented on Nov 24, 2020

Ok I finally tracked this down on the backend I think, they should be in sync now. It’s not retro-active though unfortunately.

A no thanks I stayed in the forum threads

1 Like

it apparently wasn’t fixed

dragon-devourer has games:
February 28, 2021 “1 minute main time, followed by 5 10 seconds periods” - counted as live

March 6, 2021 “increments by 10 seconds per move up to a maximum of 1 minute” - counted as live

1 Like

PSA: it’s okay to read further back than the latest comment :slight_smile:

The ratings update made it a bigger issue I believe since it reclassified old games that were Blitz to live. So I’m sure that has had impacts on ratings.

I have played no ‘Blitz’ games since the update, even though I had before it.

Don’t forget this thread, if you’re merging threads.

Good to have all the threads if you want a timeline of the issue.

2 Likes

These 5 games were created by Blitz quick match finder. Why do they classified as live?

1 Like

Yeah, I never clearly looked at blitz classification, but I just had a 3x10s + 0s main classified as live. It is slightly itchy.

1 Like

I tried figuring out the threshold for blitz and live games in the bottom of that thread and came up with some ideas of time time settings that would be at the borderline

1 Like