Boards blanking out on chrome

Hi, I noticed recently that on Chrome, when I leave the screen (tab away or switch to a different window) and come back, the board becomes blank, like this:

This happens every time for me, and it also happens in the in-game view. I tried it on Firefox and it doesn’t seem to happen there.

3 Likes

I’ve also seen this.

Which version of Chrome are you using? What operating system are you on?

Does it stay messed up or does it ever resolve upon certain actions?

Are you also seeing this on Chrome or some other browser? Which version and OS are you using?

1 Like

Chrome Version 124.0.6367.119 (Official Build) (arm64)
macOS 12.1
No errors in console.
Wiggling the mouse doesn’t fix it (like a digest issue). Refresh page does.

2 Likes

Version 124.0.6367.208 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Refreshing, changing the skin, or navigating through the game record will fix it. Other interactions don’t seem to affect it.

2 Likes

I’m using Chrome on Windows 10, currently this specific version:

Version 124.0.6367.208 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I’ve never seen this happen before, and I cannot seem to reproduce it.

Just wanted to make this note for the developers, in case it might help narrow things down, but it seems that the OP is using the same version.

Do either of you happen to be using any sort of browser extensions? The only thing I use is uBlock Origin.

1 Like

Yes, but it also happens in incognito mode with no extensions.

Also a player moving in an (observed) game fixes it, a move arriving presumably triggering a repaint.

1 Like

Thanks for the additional information.

As a sanity check, I also tried but failed to reproduce the bug under the following conditions:

• In incognito mode, with the uBlock Origin extension disabled.
  • In “default” mode, with the uBlock Origin extension disabled.

I just wanted to check if maybe this extension had some sort of weird effect of preventing the bug, but that does not seem to be the case.

I found this open bug report that may be relevant

https://issues.chromium.org/issues/328755781

6 Likes

Thanks for starting the analysis yebellz!

@anoek FYI

The bug you pointed to is related to “switching tabs”.

Folk who see this: can you provoke it by switching tabs, or is it “when I land on this page”.

2 Likes

It’s never on first landing, always when I switch tabs.

3 Likes

boom! Nice work @yebellz !

2 Likes

If it helps: The same happens for me with Safari on my iPhone.

1 Like

Interesting, as Safari is based on WebKit not chromium.

1 Like

Wow that’d be awesome if they actually fixed their bug finally.

I do have an SVG renderer that’s just about ready for experimental release too that will work around buggy canvas implementations, fwiw.

4 Likes

Update: this bug no longer happens for me.

3 Likes

It happened for me today with Chrome 124, I updated to 125 and now doesn’t happen. So yes looks like Chrome fixed.

3 Likes

Nothing like investing in a whole SVG renderer to cause them to fix their bug :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes