Books about Go (not for studying)

I have been enjoying a few books recently about Go. I don’t mean go studying books but just books to read that are go related. I’m looking for further recommendations. So far I have read:
The master of Go by Yasunari Kawabata;
Go with the flow by Cho Hunhyun;
Reflections on the Game of Go : The Empty Board 1994-2004 by William S. Cobb

And next on my list is outside the board by Hajin Lee

I’m really enjoying them so far. A nice way to get a go fix without having to exercise the brain overly like with study books. And you can just read like a normal book.

So any other books like this? Biographies, musings on go and other aspects of life, historical works, novels with a lot of Go content, anything like that.

I’ve already read hikaru no go 1 to 23 of course!

6 Likes

I’ve only watched the drama but misaeng is based on a manhwa, iirc.

I mentioned this in another thread: The second volume of the fantasy trilogy Kingkiller Chronicle, The Wise Man’s Fear, by Patrick Rothfuss, includes a thinly disguised game obviously modeled on go. The first two volumes of this work are tremendous, but fans have largely given up hope that the author will ever finish it.

1 Like

Trevanian’s “Shibumi” made me buy my goban as a teen.

1 Like

Many years ago there was a book which, if I remember correctly, showed how the Communist revolution in China used go tactics for their military battles, complete with examples on go boards to illustrate their point.

More recently there is a book, Golden Opportunities, by Kaiho, which is mostly about go but has some historic illustrations included as well.

4 Likes

No game play, but go equipment plays a large role in a story by Takeo Arishima that I once translated: When Yatchan swallowed a go stone.

3 Likes

it’s not about GO but after i started playing Go i’m fairly certain that in farseer triology the game called stones where they place and capture stones and use it as a focus training tool is Go

2 Likes

https://senseis.xmp.net/?TheTreasureChestEnigma

Apparently this book is mostly ladder problems but also features essays written in an “informal, irreverent writing style”.

2 Likes

I guess the book you mentioned is The Protracted Game: A Wei-Ch’i Interpretation of Maoist Revolutionary Strategy . I am reading it now. It is an excellent book. Thanks for sharing it.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! I’m ordering a few now to keep me going.

1 Like

La Joueuse de Go by Shan Sa is superbly written (all the more impressive since French is not the author’s mother language), but it tells a grim story. It can be appreciated, if you read French, but not enjoyed.

3 Likes

The background (time lines) of the story looks similar to this movie The Go Master - Wikipedia

Serait bon pour améliorer mon français !
Excuse my French…

I was once given a copy of “Go - oder Doppelspiel im Untergrund” by Günter Karau, published in 1983 by the GDR’s military book publisher. It’s a spy novel, but I never read more than the first couple of pages.

2 Likes

There is a translation into Russian. The beginning is intriguing. I keep reading.

1 Like

I’m a picky reader and have to say “First kyu” Is a true masterpiece. The story about young Korean man who decided to become a pro.

5 Likes

I always wanted to read this book too, but it seems definitively out of stock (First Kyu) or at least I was unable to find out a paperback copy of the same.

4 Likes

The title looks quite interesting, also the author’s background. But it seems out of stock and it was written in German…

1 Like

Superhuman Performance Analysis: The Strongest Player in the History of Go, by Monteo da Westi. This book shows a new method for ranking the strongest Go players based on their move strength during the years they were at peak (in top form), from Honinbo Dosaku to Ke Jie. Many new insights are given.

4 Likes