Bot Natsu (Fuego) keeps crashing and then runs out of time

This bot keeps crashing and then just runs out of time.

https://online-go.com/user/view/58542/Natsu%20(Fuego)

I think something else that crashes too.
Page https://online-go.com/user/view/58542/Natsu%20(Fuego) cant be accessed when bot becomes unresponsive

1 Like

Lack of functioning bots is really bad news. :frowning:

Not really, as one should be playing other humans. If a person really wanted to play a bot they could download one to their computer. https://www.sjeng.org/leela.html

1 Like

Not really, as one should be playing other humans.

Why?

BTW, looks like Leela only runs on Win only :frowning:

Playing against people is generally recognized as a “better” way to learn, although there is some debate on the matter. However, I agree that I don’t see the appeal in coming to an online go community to not play people. =]

Also, the Leela engine is available for Linux, it’s just the GUI that is not. If you have a GTP-capable GUI on Linux (there are a lot of these, almost any Go GUI client will have GTP support) then you can play against Leela.

1 Like

OK thanks.

I got is installed on a office laptop with Windows and it’s slow. Close to 30 sec per move.

I agree that I don’t see the appeal in coming to an online go community to not play people. =]

I never understood this obsession with “online community”. It’s just random (people) names you never ever have to (or want to) meet in real life. I am here only to play few rounds when I have time or I have to wait for something and got 15 min to literally waste on a game.

Lela is really slow if it cant use GPU and it’s Linux version is missing some nice features if you use the recommended GoGUI client.

Same features (best moves, for example) work with Pachi and GoGUI so it’s not GoGUI limitation

[quote=“myAccount, post:7, topic:9702”]
I never understood this obsession with “online community”.[/quote]I wonder how you come to think of this as an “obsession” … the online community exists, and many people here enjoy being part of it. This is not only a Go playing site, it also is a social environment—in which you also are participating, if alone by posting and commenting in this forum.

[quote]It’s just random (people) names you never ever have to (or want to) meet in real life.[/quote]Methinks you should only talk about yourself here, and not use the generalizing “you”.

Also, viewing other players here as “random people” is quite offensive, IMNVHO.

I for one have even invited Go players which before I only knew virtually to visit my place, and so far a few people have taken up on that offer, I’ve had a young 9d [KGS] visitor from Korea, and two other players (5-6k, a lot stronger than me) from the USA and the Netherlands, and, of course, from Germany, where I live … we always had a good time, sometimes even a few days.

[quote]I am here only to play few rounds when I have time or I have to wait for something and got 15 min to literally waste on a game.[/quote]Good to know because I wouldn’t want to play with somebody who thinks of this as “wasting time”.

Also, Leela 0.8.0 runs also in OS X/macOS—the developer now offers an .app package, packed using WineBottler (see https://www.sjeng.org/leela.html). (I have done the same successfully with earlier versions of Leela.)

2 Likes

What other GUI (linux) will work with Leela and show possible best moves?

This is creepy. :slight_smile:

On more serious note, is there a way for users to run a bot here?

I can probably donate few CPU cycles and a low k level bot. Maybe 5-4 k.

You are overreacting a bit. It’s a board game and playing games is a form of time wasting or as someone pointed out “mutual act of mental wanking”. :slight_smile:

Is there?

[quote=“ifnotmaybe, post:10, topic:9702”]
This is creepy. :slight_smile:
[/quote]Well, it always was lots of fun when they visited. :slight_smile: De-virtualizing is a nice thing.

[quote=“ifnotmaybe, post:11, topic:9702”]
is there a way for users to run a bot here?
[/quote]Search this sub-forum pls, there have been threads about this.

[quote=“myAccount, post:12, topic:9702”]
You are overreacting a bit.[/quote]Heh, I am just reacting.

[quote]It’s a board game and playing games is a form of time wasting or as someone pointed out “mutual act of mental wanking”.[/quote] I disagree with that someone. If it’s a game that involves two players, it would rather be petting.

Besides, who’d ever view masturbation as a waste of time?

But enough of that …

1 Like

Most are about bots not working :slight_smile:

Searching for gtp2ogs, I find old, closed threads how it’s not working properly and bots time out.

How is this useful for someone who offers to donate CPU cycles to run a bot?

I mean, if we get deeply philosophical abb… OK, lets not.

Anyway, got any plans to fix gtp2ogs?

It would be really nice to have few ranked (DDK) bots for newbies to get a rank and or just play when you got few minutes free time and like to place few virtual stones on a board with quickly responding non human opponent (less drama, you know).

Summoning @crodgers, I think he’s knowledgeable about using bots on OGS. Definitely more than I am, anybody will know more about bots than I do…

It is unfortunately that there is no functioning bot at OGS. I played bots last year and basically the bot crashed in the middle of game, time out. just days ago I played with bill and same thing happened.

There is definitely a need of functioning bots, low kyu or even 20 kyu plus working bots for beginners. This is a matter of features. Human players are best, but it is better to have bot available there 20 hours 7 days a week.

:smiley: even bots have a right to sleep for 4 hours!

1 Like

I am the human owner of “shorelinebot” account. Just want to say that I think because there are only 2
official developers for OGS, it is really lack of resource and probably not a higher priority for the bot function here at OGS.
I can understand that given that I myself is also a coder in real daily job. Developing OGS is not a trivial amount of work here.

One way that the crashing trouble can be minimized is to make all the live bot at OGS into “turn based” instead of
live game. That way, the users’ expectation on bot is lowered and resource requirement is much less. I believe the current mode of computer bot like “bill” etc are live games in default setup. The second is to lower the maximum number
of active players to improve user experience. It is better to allow only half of users to play a workable bots rather than
many users play a crashing bot and felt wasted time on it.

In other servers, it looks like every bot can accept only one game and they have several bots like Bot01, Bot02…
They can also have different ranks. high DDK, mid DDK, SDK and dan.

I am going to acquire some new hardware next week or so and I would like to set up a Pachi bot here. But if gtp2ogs is broken, there is nothing I can do.

Is that the one? https://github.com/online-go/gtp2ogs