Bug : Variations disappear in reviews

There seems to be a bug that has been here for a few weeks at the very least, in reviews, when going back and forth in the variations, sometimes some of them just plainly disappear.

1 Like

There is a long standing thing, in games at least: if you loose connection with the server (a glitch in your internet, or the serverā€™s internet) then itā€™s like reloading the page: variations you had explored disappear.

We so should ā€œdo somefink about thatā€ eh @anoek :crazy_face:

Iā€™m not sure about reviews so much: I had thought these ā€˜saveā€™ their variations, but maybe the same thing is happening?

1 Like

I think theyā€™re unrelated, in games, variations are a transient state thing, problem we have there is when we reconnect we have to reload the entire game in case things changed, and so applying existing variations is problematic (potentially)ā€¦ Reviews though, if youā€™re just going back and forth in existing variations, they most certainly shouldnā€™t just disappear.

If you could come up with some reproduction steps, and/or take a recording of what youā€™re seeing @ZogyZogy, that would help a lot in fixing the issue.

3 Likes

Hello @anoek ,

I just ran into this same problem; it seems to be an old issue, and I canā€™t find a resolution on it in the forums, so I made a recording demonstrating the issue.

To reproduce on firefox, simple use the left arrow until you reach a branch, at which point the branch will disappear, making it impossible to enter the branch. Refreshing the page will make the branches reappear, but the problem persists and the branches will disappear again if the same steps are taken.

Video: Dropbox - ogs-bug.mkv - Simplify your life

Review: NAGF Online League Match

1 Like

Just a quick update and some more details on this issue;

First, Iā€™ve found a few other reviews where I experience the same issue; including the one mentioned above, these are:

For a second I almost thought there was a pattern where this only affected reviews of my games made by other people (and not, e.g., reviews made by me, or reviews of other peopleā€™s games), but there is one exception so I donā€™t know that this is actually a rule or anything. Itā€™s still unclear under what conditions a review will have this issue or not; for now it still seems to be a minority of reviews, but Iā€™m not so sure about that since I donā€™t use the review feature all that much.

Perhaps most importantly, this issue only affects Firefox (including private mode), while there is no issue if I open these reviews on Chromium.

Hope this helps!

1 Like