Building a Go Board

About to start on this so a quick question (or confirmation of a query). Allowing that my lines are - say - 1mm wide then if using Chinese measurements then the gap between those lines goes from the center point of the line.

i.e

1mm line 22 mm worth of wood 1mm line

Would be a 23 mm separation.

As opposed to the 23mm coming from the edge of the lines (which would essentially make a 24mm gap between lines).

It’ll be one or the other but I am not currently sure which.

1 Like

I honestly don’t know for sure, but I believe that you are on the right track and that it should be from the center point (as this is usually the case). I find it phenomenal how precise the line measurements should be and, even more than that, that they are not easily calculable float or whole numbers (Metric and Customary). Or maybe I am just terrible at my measurements. I fortunately had an already made template, but doing this from scratch must be tough. I wish you the best of luck on your project! :grinning:

2 Likes

thanks. i will be generating some plans on my cad program that i use for my ship modelling plans. that allows you to draw full size with each line being essentially widthless. The boards lines will therefore be represented by 2 lines but even then a 1mm gap duplicated over multiple squares can startingly increase the board size (hence the question).

i have also had to decide which stones to get and though i expect i will eventually fork out several hundred quid on the japanese clam/slate ones . for my test projects i will just look at some chinese ones at under a hundred thus further adjusting the measurements.

1 Like

I have always wanted shell/slate stones. Perhaps someday when I have the money I will get a set. I am a big fan of yunzi though. :grinning:

1 Like

I’m the same, though my appreciation for yunzi was delayed until I discovered that they also come in biconvex, as I’m not at all a single convex fan (though I understand why others are).

1 Like

I thought a set of Yunzi stones would be nice to own, until I discovered that there have been issues with them containing lead.

If any one owns a set, particularly an older set (before they claim they had changed their material formulation), I would recommend that you get them tested for lead.

4 Likes

I think Yunzi produced in the past decade should be OK … I love my set of biconvex Yunzi stones purchased ~3 years ago, I even prefer them over my Shell & Slate sets, the haptic feeling is awesome.

3 Likes

I am looking at the Hoyles set in the UK. Though I haven’t checked if biconvex or not yet.

If you are not eating or licking the stones, the lead in them it is not really a health issue. There might be the concern of pets or kids doing just that though.

1 Like

From the link above:

• Lead is a cumulative toxicant that affects multiple body systems and is particularly harmful to young children.
  • There is no known level of lead exposure that is considered safe.

Any level of exposure to lead should be avoided. There are many potential routes to exposure beyond “eating or licking the stones”. Residue from touching the stones could be transferred to other things (like food) and eventually ingested (people won’t always carefully wash their hands). Fine particles could come off of the stones and be inhaled. Further, it would be difficult to ensure that lead-containing go stones would always be handled carefully by only adults and kept away from pets and children. This would be a burden not only on the current owner of such stones, but also on any future owners.

Frankly, I think you are either misinformed or acting irresponsibly by suggesting that potential lead exposure “is not really a health issue” (even if you just mean for adults). What’s the point of making such an argument anyways? To suggest that some level of lead is acceptable? No level of lead should be considered acceptable in this type of product.

2 Likes

I really hope that they have cleaned up their act. I did want to buy a set, but I feel uneasy about receiving a product that I would have to test to be sure about and potentially get rid of if there was an issue.

2 Likes

https://senseis.xmp.net/?Yunzi

I considered the problem of lead before the purchase of my stones. This article provides information about the situation. Read the link provide in the section about lead contamination. Yellow Mountain Imports claims to have cleared it up.

2 Likes

The Sensei’s Library page seems to only have one link to a blog post from 2008. There really is not much information there (on the SL page).

There has been a lot more discussion about this issue on the internet, including more recent reports of more recently purchased stones having lead issues as well:

https://www.usgo.org/news/2014/02/yunzi-stones-and-lead-an-update/

4 Likes

Dang, maybe I should get me such a lead test no matter what :unamused:

4 Likes

You are right about it being a bit outdated.

1 Like

typically I started cutting and my table saw broke. Now the fun of trying to find an electrician willing to look at or having to order another. So project on hold temporarily

1 Like

I am sorry to hear about that and hope that everything gets figured out.

2 Likes

Shame to hear that, but i hope you can continue with this soon! ^___^

3 Likes

You mean you don’t have a backup table saw? And a backup for the backup? :scream:

Sometimes I really take it for granted being in the carpentry trade. Sorry to hear that about the tool. Hope you are able to get your project back on track soon. :grin:

3 Likes

No multimeter?!

How much electrician is needed?! : P
Cannot be more then a few switches, some wire, ECT? Seems like after a few continuity checks you could limit things down quite a bit?
How many wires are inside, lol.
Maybe we can help you trouble shoot with photos?