Byo-yomi audio countdown on mobile

right, ok - I’ll do my best. I’m just a (not very good) go player. I’m nothing to do with OGS, except that I play go here and am a site supporter. I know nothing about programming or any computery stuff at all. I have a reasonable memory and so I try to do my bit to keep the forums tidy by linking bug reports to all the other bug reports that cover the same bug.
As I guess it well known, there are lots of bugs, issues and requests that come up, get acknowledged but do not make it to the top of the priority list. And then they are reported again (and again) over the years. All I do is try and keep these reports linked.

In terms of a fix, either it’s a front end thing, in which case it’s a matter of persuading someone who knows or wants to learn how to sort it to take it on. If it’s a backend thing then typically for lower priority issues I think a few years’ patience might be in order.

The other thing would be to understand if the issue needs to be moved up the priority list. Something that affects two people over the course of a year I can see will not be a very great priority. If there were some others, ideally many others, then it would be a greater priority I suppose. And even within the realms of sound issues, I recall that there are several with the “game started” one being complained about much more often than this one.

I don’t really want to get involved but I suspect that different people complaining about something is more effective than one person complaining repeatedly. So maybe try asking around in chat or something beyond the reach of the forums?

Personally, I think it’s good to address issues and it’s hard to recover poor opinions once formed so if it’s straightforward then hopefully it can be implemented soon. If there is some complexity or risk of unintended consequences then I can see that it might not happen for a good while yet.

So finally you are into the realm of what other options you have. Longer games, double click option, other devices, idk.

I’m sorry you feel so wronged by this and that I can’t do anything to help. Hopefully there will be an alignment of action on the OGS side and patience on yours and harmony can be restored.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your reply @teapoweredrobot. :heart:

As far as I can see this issue is fairly low priority.

Edhalters thread and mine got some reactions - I’ll see if is possible to gather those who encountered the same problem to push it a little further up on the list.

Please don’t take me tagging you personally, I did it solely because I’ve seen your name pop up in other Reports, and as a relatively new regular I had no perspective on how bugs are handled on OGS.

Thanks again for your attention and replies!!

3 Likes