Call for intro-to-go position examples for our new "Learning Hub"

FTR we are indeed targeting brand new players (30k), that is to say, players that have never seen the game. They should be able to work their way through the tutorial and pop out at the other end being able to place a few stones that aren’t random. The secondary goal is to impress upon them that this is a deep game and there’s a lot you can do with a “simple surrounding the stones game”. I don’t think snapback is too hard, though I do think we need to focus on easy to view puzzles, it should be pretty obvious what’s going on (remember, what’s obvious to folks who have been playing the game will still probably not be obvious to someone who is actively being introduced to the game). That and we are introducing concepts at this stage, we don’t want them to have to sit there thinking particularly hard at any point - that kind of deeper thinking comes later after they’ve warmed up to the game a little bit and want to go solve some harder puzzles to get better at the game.

5 Likes

To continue on first topic

Invasion: sansan under the hoshi still remains one of the easiest to catch.

Territory: approach 44 keima+ extension same

All very simple, classical sure boring for me maybe too :smiley:

1 Like

Most difficult to introduce without playing is influence Vs territory. I have examples for intermediate level but for beginners??

It’s a shame because is a huge fundamental to have. If any idea around?

1 Like

Strategy is not fundamental.

As a rule of thumb: if you teach people a concept, then show them a board position and tell them to recreate the concept - and they can do so without fail, it’s a fundamental aspect of the game.

If I teach someone ‘atari’, show them a group that’s surrounded and only has 2 liberties left, he will probably succeed. It is irrelevant who does it, atari is universal (and there are only 2 moves that will do).

If I teach someone about influence vs territory and show them a board position, then ask him to build influence, he will probably still not know what to do.

2 Likes

View: Exactly!
I remember an article in AGA annual report on this: a beginner should first learn to see before any reading. Snapback is good example of not seeing a chain in Atari.

1 Like

Snapback is fine as long as it’s only 1-2 moves. Snapback is also essential, because it displays an important aspect of the rules governing legal/illegal moves.

1 Like

Sure. It’s just the extreme limit of what a beginner can see (sadly)

1 Like

Closing boundary
What is the best for both
Introduce connections, territory, endgame, sente/gote with easy to see sequences. With some exhaustivity to answer why not here and there … The beginner at the end can see size of each territory (and count) and see who will play next too.
May get some confidence because even if it looks more complex as what it looks at first view, the result is pretty easy to understand.

1 Like

I think the content and organization of “The Interactive Way to Go” is a nice model to imitate for achieving these aims.

I guess this project would actually have significant overlap, but I think it is still more than worthwhile, since the two following aims could be achieved:

1. Modernization of the interface/implementation, i.e., by not relying on outdated Flash/Java and ensuring that it works nicely across browsers/platforms, on mobile, etc.
  2. Community-driven creation of free, open-source content, which can be broadly shared to introduce new players to the game.
1 Like

Center/edge

1 Like

Do not always follow your opponent

1 Like

@yebellz
I’m not sure it’s the best thing to do at the start if we want some originality.
Surely a good thing to do later to see if we reach to get something new (or not).

1 Like

Ok last one after I m off for a while :wink:

One way of seeing the game is to keep the most liberties (so possibilities too) to the end. Would be nice to find a easy to see example on this ( a bit out of focus in many introduction to go). Any ideas?

Ok I m off

1 Like

Snapbacks revised.

1.sgf (364 Bytes)
2.sgf (372 Bytes)
3.sgf (250 Bytes)
4.sgf (361 Bytes)
5.sgf (301 Bytes)
6.sgf (363 Bytes)
7.sgf (470 Bytes)

7 Likes

I’ve seen 7 before, but that’s not terribly relevant. Magnificent revamp! Clear progression in difficulty, too (7 is still a 5-move problem but perhaps we can make the seventh problem ‘bonus credit’ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ).

3 Likes

Nice set, I think those will work perfectly, thanks!

3 Likes

http://eidogo.com/#3lronc2RZseki1.sgf (197 Bytes)

7 Likes

http://eidogo.com/#HcVmz3K0seki2.sgf (195 Bytes)

4 Likes

Ladders
B to find all the threats to capture a white stone

1 Like

Ladders2
ladder2.sgf (453 Bytes)
http://eidogo.com/#2cPDSbzNI

1 Like