Call for intro-to-go position examples for our new "Learning Hub"

I’ve integrated the snapback and seki puzzles into the learning hub, you can check them out here https://beta.online-go.com/learning-hub - let me know if i missed any important variation playouts!

4 Likes

I’m thinking for the ladder variations, ideally we will be able to reduce the puzzle down to a “where do you need to place a stone in order to accomplish X”. My thought for ladders is to have one example constructing a short ladder, and then maybe a couple of puzzles about placing a good ladder breaking stone or something of the sort? I’m not sure if that’s going to get too complicated or not… but that was my hope.

2 Likes

Go board puzzles:

2Y4qSr6Ff.sgf (414 Bytes)
20GxBl61f.sgf (365 Bytes)
GSVddKKf.sgf (521 Bytes)
2AuIcjaHN.sgf (158 Bytes)

4 Likes

@anoek Since these are supposed to be aimed at absolute complete beginners, maybe we should provide rebuttals to every possible move around “action” area? Who knows what beginners may try and then wonder “why this is fail?” Plus it provides a little bit of a hint to what user needs to prevent. In mark’s “Exercises for Beginners” for a lot of nonsensical moves “opponent’s” answer is still present.

Here’s what I’ve come up with for ko, but these I like even less than seki ones. How do you even make a ko puzzle for people who don’t know complications around it?

1.sgf (203 Bytes)
2.sgf (233 Bytes)
3.sgf (210 Bytes)
4.sgf (323 Bytes)

1 Like

Yeah I think so. To a point at anyrate, if they play in a random place on the board, we don’t need to answer that i don’t think, but I was trying to include variations i thought might happen - i have undoubtedly missed
many, if you notice any point them out and I’ll patch it up :slight_smile:

These too are great! I’m loving your puzzles :slight_smile: I think our goal is here to impress upon them that there are complications (which are interesting), and to give them a taste of what can happen with the ko rule (and obviously to teach them that there is a ko rule along the way) - so I think these are great little snippets that do just that :slight_smile:

IMO, some “exceptions” from the usual rule of ko.
not a ko.sgf (182 Bytes)
http://eidogo.com/#46DI2y1rt

1 Like

Indeed, it might be a good idea to include a puzzle that illustrates the difference between a snapback and ko

1 Like

http://eidogo.com/#2MaV213L2ko.sgf (263 Bytes)

This is why I separate “snapback” from “recapture” but file them both under ‘legal and illegal moves’ in the context of surrounded intersections.

I guess I’ll have to compile my own set of instructional material to demonstrate what I mean by coherent explanation of the rules and techniques. sigh :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Ko section has been integrated. I also dropped the territory section, i put a puzzle at the end of the defense section describing what territory is and left it at that, as it’s hard to do much more than that without doing a deep dive it seems. Would be happy to break that out if folks have any other ideas about that though.

2 Likes

I would love to help with making the problems! I’ve been working a lot with beginners lately (I’ve had the pleasure of teaching about 15 of my students the game, and in less than a month I’ve gathered 7 regular members!), so I can generally tell which problems are within a student’s grasp of reasoning.

I personally think this approach to a tutorial is awesome, and it could really help me reach out to more of my community. I’m thinking it could help specifically with the adults who are vaguely interested in the “new game in town” but don’t have time for the meetings. Thank you so much for developing this site! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think it would be nice to have some short explanation instead just “great job” or “puzzle failed.” Something simple like “great job, white is now caught in the ladder” or “puzzle failed, white can now prevent two separate eyes.”

2 Likes

Agreed Koba, I’ve got a bit of work to do to make that happen but that should be possible.

And great AlexSmiles!

Quick question about the format. Are 2nd,4th,6th… moves always played automatically? Or is there some other way to indicate whether the player can make a move (in 3+ move sequences)?

In other words, if the player is always black, should white’s moves be perfect?

And how to indicate that something succeeds/fails?

Opponent moves are always played automatically yes, and so they should be “perfect” or at least reasonable in these puzzles.

In an SGF you post, just indicate it in the comments or something. I manually transcribe them into the puzzle system to be successes / failures.

1 Like

As a thought maybe add a 1s delay before the move. For a new player collecting their thoughts, having that stone snap down straight after their own can have a dazzling effect and interrupt their thought process and flow of learning.

1 Like

You misspelled “scarred for life”. :smirk:

3 Likes

They don’t experience that until they have to deal with your ‘witty’ retorts to their forum posts :wink:

5 Likes