Call for intro-to-go position examples for our new "Learning Hub"

But only if they’re witty enough to understand, so realistically, no harm done there. :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

The Surrounding Game website has fantastic format for learning though game design. It was created originally by Cooper Mayne but I have permission from him to do as I wish with the code. Go to http://mindgames.ninja to see the tutorial walkthrough.

2 Likes

In some ways I like the zen like feel, but the content level is fairly similar what we currently have, and the feedback I was getting while watching brand new players was that it doesn’t leave them feeling like they are ready to play a game. My take away from watching new players is that we need to go a bit deeper, but at the same time we can’t expect people to sit through 30 minutes of lessons before they play their first game, hence the current format. Very short digestible sections that introduces some core concepts of the game that players can go through at their own pace and interest.

4 Likes

Ladder puzzles:
L1.sgf (211 Bytes)
L2.sgf (345 Bytes)
L3.sgf (196 Bytes)
L4.sgf (290 Bytes)

4 Likes

Query whether my existing puzzles starting with https://online-go.com/puzzle/1789 are good enough for the “jumping stones” unit.

2 Likes

The complexity level is great i think, the only thing would be to fill in some variations to show ‘why not this other move’ kind of stuff, maybe? Jumping stones might be hard to be quite as explicit as “this is the right answer” i reckon, but the closer we can get to minimizing the number of right answers the better I would think.

4 Likes

I’m really excited about this! The beta link takes me to “page not found”

Whoops! It’s back online now :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is amazing!!!
I just realized that this link could be useful: http://britgo.org/covers/psmith
(I just sent you an email of all the pdfs so you don’t have to click through each link)
I’ve talked with Paul Smith directly and he is fine with people using the puzzles on there. I actually use them myself at the middle and high school I teach go at. They are well thought out positions!

Feedback on Intermediate Section

1. You have a section on false eyes, this should be preceded by a section on how to make eyes.

Feedback for Ko Section

1. You should use a group that would be dead if the ko was lost. In the group used, black could technically play away and the group is still dead. Either that or white should have a stone at D3 making it so that black’s only option is to capture the group or perish.
  2. It might be also neat to have a position of stones where black wins the ko and lives.
3 Likes

Brilliant effort so far!

After a riddle is completed, only a really short time passes (~1 s) until the next riddle starts and one cannot see the old riddle anymore.

As a beginner it’s quite often trial and error. So you make “by accident” the correct move, your line of sight is diverted to the right where “Great job” lights up and suddenly, before you have a chance to have a look at what you have achieved everything is gone and you cannot see the result anymore because the next riddle is shown immediately.

If you go back you have to press a star to go back (took me quite a while to figure it out, why not leave the numbers of the riddles down in the right box?) the old riddle starts anew and your solution is vanished.

Might be an idea to have a button “Next riddle?” or make the time span longer until the next riddle starts (which can be annoying, if you have to wait e.g. 5 s when the riddle was really easy for you).

5 Likes

Cutting and connecting.
C1.sgf (97 Bytes)
C2.sgf (99 Bytes)
C3.sgf (101 Bytes)
C4.sgf (117 Bytes)

2 Likes

Eidogo viewer broke for me. Hm.

2 Likes

Same here. That’s weird, eidogo seems to be broken across the whole thread too. Did the site admins make some changes?

1 Like

Awesome stuff here, can’t read it all, too busy ATM.

But re: #Ladders …and maybe some other special cases … could it be helpful to add animations (or perhaps pre-progammed move sequences that can “auto-play”?

Here’s a (sort of nightmarish) ladder animation I once created in a sleepless night:

FWBHpd4

I’m not yet totally satisfied though—after I finished this I realised that I want to create a larger version that shows that …

“A Ladder Is Six Points Wide”

… meaning that …
Any stone on the path of the ladder within this width of six intersections can act as a Ladder Breaker.

(On a standard physical board it is about a hand’s width, this made it easier for me to estimate the outcome of a ladder in Real Life games.)

I also created a few other images which you could use (I can remove my © marks):

… but I guess it might make more sense to re-create them on demo boards …?

5 Likes