Calling all testers for the next big OGS release, 4.2

11) “ladders” should come with a capital “L” in the group pages. :slight_smile:

I tried to defy that guy (a friend who just created his account) :

with these game settings :

But got that error :

I’m 2d ( https://beta.online-go.com/user/view/843/betatesterofthedeaththanksogs ), he is 1d ( https://beta.online-go.com/user/view/990/betabinx ) It was his first game.

When he tried to create the game himself, he got the same error.

Since I was already there, I decided to play in the automatic bi-hourly blitz tournament. Here are my remarks, I hope that they’re useful:

POSITIVE:

• First, I really like this automatic stuff because it provides a nice and new opportunity to play! I like that competitive approach, too.
  • I also like that you get notified when a new tournament is about to start (including the countdown) but I would prefer if I could turn those notifications in the upper right corner of the window off, too, in case I’d be a player who is not up for that kind of fun at all. It might get really annoying to continually have to close those notifications. (couldn’t find it in the settings)
  • The chat window on the tournament pages are really useful.

FOR IMPROVEMENT:

• I think it would be more userfriendly if the server automatically opens a new tab (or window, whatever the preferences of a user may be) when a new round starts where you can immediately start playing your game. One player in the tournament didn’t know where to find his game and in the end left the tournament altogether which is a shame.
  • There is still some trouble with the translations. At the end of the game the result was given to me in a mixture of German (my mother language) and English like this: “Weiß wins by Zeitüberschreitung”.
  • I still find the tournament tables very confusing. Instead of players the game encounters are given. I’d much prefer a more obvious / intuitive tournament crosstable or a simple list with the names of the players and their points. There may be other good options here but the method used at the moment is not very clear to me.

I think that covers it for now. In case I get to play more, I’ll write again. Thanks again for your continued efforts to make OGS an even better server for everybody!

EDIT:
Oh, and one more thing. I think that the settings page is really cluttered. Would it be possible to put the different kinds of settings on seperate “tabs”? Or tidy that page up in another manner? Right now it’s quite difficult to find something. That’s not only true for an overview but especially for the notification settings. It’s quite a long list of what one can get notified about… which is a good thing but also a little overwhelming. :smile:

Hey Fuenkchen,

thanks for the reports. :slight_smile:

The German translation for 4.2 is not finished yet, so give me a few days to complete these.

Cheers,
Fran

1 Like

I also played in a scheduled bi-hourly 19x19 blitz tournament at the beta site. Here are my comments.

• Overall it was excellent and I think it will be popular when this version goes live. On KGS, many people play blitz (especially the dans) and they have nothing like this tournament.

• I would like to see a gap of 5 mins between rounds. Currently, when round 1 finishes, the game for round 2 starts immediately. There were 5 rounds and so we ended up playing 2.5 hours of constant blitz. At one point, one of my opponents Paused the game to take a bathroom break. This does not seem in keeping with the spirit of blitz where it is all about shortage of time. A gap between games might sort this out (then we could have No Pauses allowed in blitz games). At the end of Round 1, it could send a message to the participants like “Round 1 has ended. Round 2 will begin in 5 minutes”. Maybe send it to the tournament channel/room/group since it seems to create a channel dedicated to the tournament. At the start it would then need to say “Please join the tournament channel” or something similar.

• At the end of the tournament, it would be nice to see a results table on the tournament page. I couldn’t find one. I was so involved with my own games that I didn’t have time to see how others were doing until the end

• When I joined the tournament, it said there would be 3 rounds. After the tournament started, it turned out there were 5 rounds. This is confusing and might cause problems for people who thought they had enough time to play and ended taking a lot longer than expected

• I received notifications in the top right of the screen for the start of rounds and I used these. Managed to start each game on time which is crucial in blitz. An alternative ( or extra) might be to send messages about rounds starting to the tournament channel.

Anyway, these are my ideas for improvement. It works fine as it is but the experience might be improved a little.

3 Likes

Why not use the new Customer Voice tool to collect feedback?

Menu choices on small screen missing

When accessing the site via a phone (chrome via Moto X ), the menu choices across the top (home through Fourms) disappears. I noticed, because not all of the links across the top end up on the left side when you pop it out. Fourms for example doesn’t show up.

When I change orientation of the phone and make the screen wider some, but not all, of the top menu choices show up.

I like this idea very much :slight_smile:

12 Missing translations report:

13) Long names break the formatting in the leaderboards:

14) There is a typo in “Leaderboaords” :smiley:

1 Like

Little continuation to my previous analyze mode post.

It seems that also when game goes as analyzed and then analyze some more it gets confused of move numbers as it shows on images.

That “leaderboaords” was really ment to be ladders, because leaderboards is repeated in the menu.

1 Like

Same person got a bye three times in a row at a tournament. Normally we want same person to get it only ones in a hole event.

Also would be nice if result had their own tab.

Can’t accept friend request

1 Like

4.2 is now released, thanks for the help testing everyone!

3 Likes