Chat needs better moderation

RP as in role play, has nothing wrong with it unless it hapens to go too far thank you next :\

The trouble with the idea of a dedicated Go-only channel is this: what is to stop it from becoming a duplicate of the English channel?

moderation lol

2 Likes

We don’t need to create a new channel to do that kind of moderation.

The trouble with the idea of a dedicated Go-only channel is this: what is to stop it from becoming a duplicate of the English channel?

Wouldn’t one expect discussion inertia to keep off-topic posting in the original channel, where all the posters are accustomed to going?

Maybe read the whole thread? I thought @Eugene laid out a pretty good case for not making #English Go-only.

3 Likes

personally i think its pretty good how it is

Having captured what the denizens where were online at the time think (which is that those in the channel like it how it is), I will put on record what I personally think.

Understanding that it’s just one opinion no more valid than anyone else’s opinion.

I think:

• that the current #English, where first comers arrive, has the potential to bring the site to disrepute, and be off-putting for newcomers.
  • that all the chat channels were intended for talking about Go, in different langauges, and that channels for other things (more specific, or different) have names that indicate this purpose
  • and therefore that #English should be for talking in English about Go
  • and that #Off Topic should be for polite discussion of off topic matters (the general topic being Go).

If it were up to me, I would let all the people in #English know that off topic conversations should move to #Off Topic, and that the same standards of chat apply there as elsewhere on the site.

I also think that it’s no surprise that the people in the channel like it the way it is, beacuse those who don’t like it don’t stay there.

But that’s just me.

I understand and accept that the way it is is deliberate and was chosen at the time based on community input. It’s great the “Self Atari” gave us this chance to review.

7 Likes

the thing is, is there actually that many people wanting to have english chat be just go? there is some opinions that suggest one idea, one for another, etc. there are people on both sides, both with good points, but is there actually more people suggesting that we should purge english chat to only go? im not sure there is.

1 Like

I asked a serious question, and so far your response to me has been (1) a wisecrack, and (2) a gratuitous insult that was old when I was young. Neither of my comments were about the case for or against changing the English chat; they addressed the idea of creating a new Go-only channel.

I guess there are two separate issues at hand:

1. Should English be about Go or “All topics in English”?

2. What standard of moderation should apply to the conversation, no matter what the topic is?

One interesting thing with the english chat room:

Even if the current discussion is about food, cat pics and other off-topic stuff. It usually just takes a go related question and people will jump onto it and a on-topic discussion emerges.

At least this is my observation.

5 Likes

can say yes, this does seem to happen a lot

(edit; im assuming that it shows this is a reply but its not for me so im putting this here)

I appreciate Eugene asking in chat if those there like it as it is, which garnered a resounding “Yes, like it as it is”. That’s useful information and a perspective of those currently using chat; they use it and thus like it.

There is no means, however, to survey those that might use a Go Only chat except to create a Go Only chat. It’ll either sink or swim (I’m guessing swim, but then again, I picked the Chiefs in the Super Bowl).

A GoOnly chat could be closed and reunited with general chat if it stagnates over time.

I’m on a large Go Discord (nearly 1800 members) and there are #OffTopic and #GoOnly sections. They both flourish and are active, with some using both, but many choosing to use one or the other.

I, personally, use Go Only chat on that Discord, and would be more likely to use OGS chat if there was GoOnly conversation (exchanging ideas about play, go events, books and resources, etc.). If these Go “conversations” were hidden within chats about RP gaming, inside jokes, sports, politics, and discussions about Hulu, I would not participate in the chat.

5 Likes

various different people have put it better then me and with other arguments elsewhere, but ill say it here. (check it out on go chat channel )
basically if we have a go only chat, it might hurt both chats and leave the total amount of go discussion less then it was before, even if it was a specified thing.

this discord may not be the best example, as it is only for talking. how much do they flourish and such? other various questions could be asked.

I don’t think I insulted you Conrad, but I am sorry if anything I said hurt your feelings.

Let me just make one thing clear: The english channel is why many people prefer OGS over other servers.

#English is a community of people that has developed naturally, over years and years. If you are going to make it purely go related and enforce it, a large majority would probably leave. There are friendships and personalities, niche little interactions, and a culture all of its own (primarily cats and food). All of this has happened as a result of under-moderation imo, and to be frank, I think its admirable that the community is so respectable in its absence. Nothing should change, no reason to rip out the central hub and heart of OGS.

4 Likes

To be fair, while almost everything you have said is true, I think #English is only the “heart and hub” for those people who hang out there. By far the majority of OGS users do not hang out there, and would not notice the change… many some of those who hang out there right now hardly play Go at all…

3 Likes

I think I agree with you… but also this could be an argument for leaving as is. If it only affects those who hang out there, and most don’t, then why change it?

I believe that the only way to change it naturally is to talk about the topics you want to talk about in chat. Those who want to talk about the same things will do so. And speaking from experience in the chat rooms, there is always someone willing to talk about anything whether that is Go related or otherwise.

3 Likes

The large majority of users don’t chat at all - so whether #English is moderated to purely Go content or not, won’t make a difference to them either. New comers are always welcomed, and go related question are answered swiftly - I think the OP is operating under the assumption that the chat would see the same level of activity, just focused more on Go - which would definitely not be the case. Even people who play Go don’t want to only talk about Go.