Cheating Allegations in AGA City League 2021

So if I beat martin3141, you can easily look at my game history here and conclude if I am aided.

But we don’t know this 2kyu. We don’t know this tournament.

I can tell you I am officially 3.6kyu AGA, but that’s two years old due to covid. I just participated an AGA online tournament last month and entered the handicap division, because I would be slaughtered in open division with 1-7 Ds. But if I have improved to be a d player, I would play in the open division.

I can see the 2kyu is outdated. Now if he played this game as a 4D, would we still accuse him cheating?

How much can one improve in one year? I watched lots of teaching video by Chinese 5-7P. It is very normal for them to achieve 6D in a year or two since they started learning the game as a kid.

Again, we don’t know this 2kyu. We don’t know the strength of the AI we used to analyze the game here.

Is that possibly this kid is indeed 6D strength now? Is that possible the AI we use here is about the same level. Then higher matching percentage is at most suspicious, but not impossible.

In the case of the pro korean girl cheated with AI above, she is a pro and her matching rating is middle 90% and higher than Shin Jin-seo, which at his best is around 85-87%. That’s when people concluded this girl cheated.

Do we have a strong case like that against this 2kyu? We don’t even know the person. All I am convinced this 6D is a whiner.

1 Like

I am afraid I wasn’t clear. Black did not always play the best move, but played (except for move 105) a move which is “colored”.

4 Likes

Why do you call him a “kid”? His first game on the US Go database was in 2007 and he was already 2k.

2 Likes

Because I am old and can’t imagine an old person can improve that much. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

In regards of errors made by strong players here are the graphs from a pro game.

2 Likes

Even if it’s not the blue move, if he’s not losing a couple percent every couple moves, that’s still better than pro do.

2 Likes

And here is one from a kyu game.

2 Likes

Now, according to the FB post, he spent only 20 minutes in an hour main time setting to win this game. I don’t understand how one can use AI this fast(however, I don’t have this kind of tool myself). I would take my time. So if he indeed cheated, I would more think being aided by another person in the room.

But again, if you accuse someone, you show me the evidence beyond the reasonable doubts. I am not convinced at all.

Is it possibly? Of course it is.

2 Likes

Twenty minutes is plenty enough time to cheat, and the opponent’s thinking time is to factor in too.

That said I’m not completely convinced either.

3 Likes

He had his opponent’s time to think still.
Unless you have a camera in the room, hard evidence won’t ever exist. You can only figure out what the probability of him displaying that kind of strength once was. And if it’s better than what Shin Jinseo does, it’s bound to be pretty low. Having his game history would probably help a ton too.

3 Likes

The AI Shinseo uses is top level and several stones stronger than him. So is the pro girl’s.

We don’t know strength of this person and the AIs mentioned here. If they are about the same, it explains the match.

Regardless the comparison is not justified. And from what I see on OGS AI, black’s quite some moves are not good or best choices. I have provided some examples above. There are others in opening/mid game.

2 Likes

Black didn’t play the best moves, but always played a “colored” move (except for one move). This is extremely rare in kyu games. Not impossible but given that fact, the 6d player shouldn’t be called a “whiner”.

7 Likes

Sure, the 6D is incapable of taking a loss graciously, while the 1kyu is a person of interest of a cheating debate.

Are we all happy now? I am.

1 Like

Well, IMO the 6d shouldn’t have brought the case publicly and should have discussed privately with the referees, but I can understand that he thought his opponent was using AI.

3 Likes

I can’t deny that the fact that the anticheat team of the tournament has decided on the matter influences my opinion.
Probably better players than most of us and with tools better than we mostly have.

I can’t say with certainty that the winner didn’t cheat, but it isn’t exactly a 50-50 case to weigh on.

2 Likes

It is also possible AGA interviewed someone in the 1kyu’s local club and concluded he is not at 1kyu strength now.

The real problem is the rank. Think about it. Without rank, we would not worry about AI, using analysis tool, undo … and just enjoy the game.

How about OGS takes the lead and abandons the rank on the site? lol

1 Like

You had me until here…

Internet Go != IRL Go, and ranks for people who play a lot can be quite accurate here!

2 Likes

That’s the thing I came to realize only recently that people don’t care about their association ranks any more. It makes sense. Our annual local AGA tournament is just 6 games. If I get lucky, I can easily go to next level.

But we should not be too seriously with internet on “cheating”. I basically assume all of you higher rank cheat. Otherwise, how come I am still just a 2kyu?!

1 Like

In the context of an international tournament with money on the line, not taking a loss graciously if you think your opponent cheated is pretty much a given I think. Especially if nothing was done by the organizer to prevent cheating despite it being a rampant issue on all servers at higher ranks.

6 Likes

Wasn’t a Ji Seo or something obvious misclick a few weeks ago? And the opponent was ready to grant undo if asked, even waited a bit? Sometimes the right thing is an option.

… And that’s why I’ll die poor, I guess.

5 Likes