Chinese neutral points?

This description seems to say nothing about dame points.

1 Like

bro just fill dame

2 Likes

If all count, better put stones on the dame.

When you cannot put stones like in a seki. then the case is explained in the topic too (1point for eye in a seki or 0.5 for each player for dame between both opponent)

In chinese rule we count all, we maximize the global occupation. So you better play the dame as they are points. Ofc if both players take 1 point each time , it balance and the difference will not change unless the last will give one more point (case of a odd number of dame )

Now if you get confortable with the chinese rules, you can easely explain why it works.

• why can i put back the prisoners in the bowls?
  • why the score is the same as with the Japanese rules (modulo 1 point)?
  • why there is the modulo 1 point?
2 Likes

There is no random component. Either a dame has been filled, then itā€™s 1 point for the player who filled it, or it hasnā€™t, then itā€™s 0 point.

The proper way of playing under chinese rules is to fill as many dame as possible.

5 Likes

What do you mean by this? The typical definition of dame points is that they are empty points on the board that are not surrounded by only one players. Do you mean something else by dame?

To clarify, where people have talked about ā€œfilling dameā€, they mean in the sense that dame would be filled by the players playing additional moves (in the typical alternating fashion) on the board.

2 Likes

yebellz is correct.

Officially, the result of a game is determined by

black's points - 180.5 - komi

or

white's points - 180.5 + komi

To make this work, we have to guarantee

black's points + white's points = 361

So each side gets 0.5 from a neutral point.

Many believe
black's area - white's area - komi
is the number we look at at the end of the game, which is mathematically correct, but if you use this formula you have to count both sides.

3 Likes

This is the only posting here that makes sense to me; thanks.

2 Likes

In these two equations, the value of ā€œkomiā€ term should actually be half of the komi (3.75 for Chinese rules).

3 Likes

Right. To be more precise, 3.75 is the komi in the official Chinese rules; 7.5 is the komi that yields an equivalent result when we count in a different manner (comparing blackā€™s points vs whiteā€™s points).

In fact, I just found all of this is in Chinese Rules at Sensei's Library (the link Chinese 2002 rules)

4 Likes

What does this mean? Also, is the same komi really used for all board sizes? That is remarkable.

1 Like

Actually Iā€™m not sure what ā€œthisā€ refers to in your question. Iā€™ll explain what I think you are asking.

black's points - 180.5 - komi 

If we compare blackā€™s (or whiteā€™s) points with roughly half of the board, i.e. using the number above, then the komi should be 3.75, according to the current Chinese or AGA rules. But if we use the following formula,

black's area - white's area - komi

the number we plug in for komi is 7.5 instead.

Not sure about komi for other board sizes. I donā€™t know if official rulesets (such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, AGA, EGF, NZ) have anything about komi on other boards, since 19x19 is the mainstream.

3 Likes

what do you mean?

What does who mean? :smiley:

3 Likes

Who does what mean?

This does who makes any sense to me too, thanks

Who makes sense can make it, thanks.