Chinese Opening

Hello there! I’m glad you’re excited about the game of Go, but I would actually CAUTION you regarding using the Chinese Opening if you are a beginning player. Why you ask?

So - think of it this way - Black starts of with an advantage for going first. That advantage is formalized to 6.5 points by komi. If they’re being smart and following opening priorities, in the first 4 moves, Black and White will both approach the 4 available corners (and hopefully avoid a cross-cut game!)

Now Black needs to make their 5th move. They can either PRESS their advantage and approach one of White’s corners, or CASH IN their advantage and create a potential large extension with the Chinese Opening.

While this may seem like a good deal for Black, it actually ends up creating a fight earlier in the game than otherwise, because it invites White to invade that framework early - taking both players out of the usual Opening Priorities and focusing on local fights. This is my short version, I’ve written up a longer version at the end of this article (which you also might find useful):

BOTTOM LINE: as a beginning player, you may get better results in the long run by using the Sente in Move 5 to approach one of White’s corners, and try to create an extension back to one of your other corners rather than inviting a fight early in the game. To put it another way, if you are a 25-30 kyu player, trying the Chinese Opening against other 25-30 kyu players might give you good results (because they don’t know how to invade yet), but if you try it against a 15-20 kyu player, they’ll know how to respond, and you may find yourself in trouble very quickly. Good luck!

5 Likes