Clarification on captures

Hello,
I am a newbie learning rules of Go and reading The Way to Go by Karl Baker, Chapter 2 I am stumbled, Got the basic rules till then.

001-Go

I am not able to understand in Dia 1, how can black come to all of white liberties, in alternative move white can also come right?

1 Like

If I understand the question correctly - then yes, white of course gets a move every time after Black’s move, but the idea is that White will be unable to prevent Black from taking away all the liberties no matter where she/he plays.

2 Likes

And even if white moves first then black can still capture the three white stones (and most likely the additional stone(s) that white might play)

1 Like

I think it would help a newbie (saying as a newbie) to play it out, see why the white stones will die.

If the diagram had coordinates, I guess they could say the moves in order.

I don’t know if there’s a tsumego library or something where you can input the one you want to study or is a demo board enough. Just to play it out to see it…

2 Likes

So to capture a set inside a territory, it is not needed that they are all covered by opposing color?
In this diagram, let us say from Left to Right --> on last row after black B W B W or W B B W
does the white gets captured?

Sorry for asking, will try to read up and clarify also

2 Likes

To capture a group, you need to occupy all of the groups liberties with your stones. Whether or not it is inside of your territory is irrelevant. I have created a demo board to illustrate what I think you mean.

If you would preffer an interactive approach you might try some of the online tutorials.

Mine (well, ours) for example! https://www.learn-go.net/ :smiley: (shameless)

5 Likes

[Off topic: It’s making me feel very weird that the lines on the goban don’t continue between the stones…]

3 Likes

Super helpful Adam, I got it. Thanks much, i will continue exploring with the links you gave. I am getting addicted!

6 Likes

My pleasure. Welcome to OGS :slight_smile:

3 Likes