Clock font is too small

It’s a cropped snip from my desktop monitor. I have an ultrawide monitor, so there are large margins for most webpages. Here’s another snip with more of the webpage, but still cropping the empty margins on my monitor.

Chess and go have different display needs, but I think it’s nice to have a nice large clock for both.

EDIT: The placement of both clocks very close to the board on lichess is nice. It’s easier to see each clock in your peripheral vision when they are next to the board.

2 Likes

The point I was making is that the issue being reported here is specific to a set of screen proportions, as I understand it - generally speaking (on the common layouts) the clock font is fine.

That’s why I’m curious whether we are starting a conversation about “let’s re-layout the player cards” or just “lets fix the font in that screen layout”?

As it happens you can have OGS looking somewhat like your image if you want:

So we do have a “clock-centric” view.

What we also have is a problem with font-size in a specific screen-layout, in the standard “player-centric” view.

1 Like

Right, there are separate issues and conversations going on.

I don’t think that image of OGS looking somewhat like lichess looks like lichess in the right ways. The clocks are still rather small, and, perhaps most vexing, positioned left and right of each other instead of above and below each other. It’s also mildly bothersome that they aren’t even centered to the right of the board.

2 Likes

Okay, I took another snip from a correspondence game in zenmode.

PROS:
The clocks look larger!
The alignment on the right is improved to sample above.

CONS:
The clocks are still left-right instead of top-bottom. Maybe that’s less important outside of a chess context, in which there is a definite orientation to the board, and having the clocks as close as possible to the board is best during blitz play.

EDIT: Hold the phone! The clocks look smaller in the screenshot pasted to this discussion than they do in the webpage. I mean, duh, right.

1 Like

Yeah, I think you are on to something for zen mode … although there is the counter-position which is that OGS users are accustomed to finding “white to the right of black” …

1 Like

Surely the colour difference is enough to account for that? Especially if it means everyone gets bigger clocks

3 Likes

I’ve decided to add this as a “good first issue”. If anyone has been itching to start contributing to the OGS source code, this is a great way to start!

4 Likes

I was never sure whether that tag meant

This is the first time this user has lodged an issue report, and it was a particularly good one

or

This would be a good issue for a new contributor to tackle

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Yep it’s confusing but because i would rather say first good issue for the case of a quality of an issue given first time by a user and i would then dedicate the good first issue to the programer beginner. (With my low trust in my English)

2 Likes

I can see the confusion when it’s pointed out, but it seems functionally clear (kind of in the way that Groin said) that we would want a list of issues for new programmers.

4 Likes

Hahaha the former is a totally reasonable interpretation, although I’m not sure what purpose it would serve…

Anyway, here’s documentation on GitHub’s default labels: Managing labels - GitHub Docs

1 Like

Thanks for the link :slight_smile:

I started writing a description about why I thought it could have been the former… and the longer I typed the more ridiculous it sounded :rofl:

5 Likes

Well its good that you asked, because I didn’t have it on my radar at all. A good resource to know about!

2 Likes