Coaching

Hi. I’m a very new player and is wanting to explore more into the game.
I know the rules but after that I know basically nothing.

A little background on me is I’m 16 and a state champion chess player. Currently rated about 1900 in chess. I love mind games like chess and go seems very interesting to me.

I’d be willing to pay some money for someone to give me weekly lessons. But free would be nice. Preferably a fairly good player.

Please email me at Jamison.a.gibson@gmail.com

Well, there are plenty of people out there who would gladly coach for some cash, but might I recommend that you start with the materials that are available to you for free? As a new player to the game, I’d recommend just playing some games on 9x9 and 13x13 for now to get a feel for the game. There are plenty of youtube videos available to help develop your play at earlier levels as well. Look up Haylee (self commented games, professional 3Dan), Nick Sibicky(lectures and game reviews, amateur Dan), Clossius (game reviews, amateur Dan), and Dwyrin (lectures, amateur Dan) on youtube.

If you are looking for something a bit more interactive, there are also regular live streams by several players on Twitch. Look up Clossius, Xhu98, and Battsgo (dwyrin above/on youtube) to get started on that front. If you want some direct advice and you can’t find it there, there’s also Reddit.com/r/baduk, the forums and chat here on OGS, the forums at Life in 19x19 and Tiger’s Mouth (teens Go forum). I should also mention Sensei’s Library (senseis.xmp.net) which is a great resource for general Go information. http://senseis.xmp.net/?PagesForBeginners might be of interest to you as a new player to Go. Finally, don’t be afraid to just go in chat or here on the forums and ask for a teaching game. Most of the time finding a teaching game on OGS is actually quite easy.

If you are strong in chess, however, I suspect that you will quickly advance in Go. Good luck out there, and I look forward to seeing you around the server!

2 Likes