Common questions to tournaments (or: looking for a FAQ)

Hi,

I started to get a little bit angry about a tournament situation, then I realized it is only becuse I cant get the informations that i need it.

So first of all:
I was invited by the tournament director. I never done a it before.
It is my first tournament at all and I have no clue about it

second:
Why is it so hard to find the informations that I need (Is it just me? or is it really hard to find?)

here are the datas and the questions that I have about it:
(a link to explanation or FAQ would work for me as well )

Turniertyp

• Single Elimination

How does it work? What catagories are there otherwiese?

Players:

• 4 - 100

okay, this is clear

Initiale Pairing

• Slaughter

???
How does it work?

Nachfolgende Paarung (after Pairing?)

• Strength

I think I get it.

Number of rounds

Do I have to play 3 times to each player? or does it mean i have to win 2 out 3? Or do I have only 3 rounds and then I am out for good (if I lost)?

Rules

• Japanese
    Brettgröße
  • 19x19
    Handicap
  • Automatic
    Analytics
  • allowed
    Strategic Moves
  • allowed
    Rank-restriction
  • none

this all i get it.

preliminary or temporary Players

• allowed

what ???

Some more questions:

• I played already one game to one player (I lost), this player is now green for me.

• Does it mean I don’t play with him again ? (what about the 3 rounds?)

• There is another player he is green for me too, but I didn’t played him (I think), what does it mean?

• How do I get the next challange?
    Should I challange the players in the list with a right mouseclick or will the system pairing me automaticly? (When will the system do that?)

Sorry for the probably stupid questions, but I couldn’t find the informations elsewhere (and I wont ask the tournament director, cause if it is that I am to stupid to find the informations, I woud be ashamed)

Even it is for you very clear, I simply dont know it.

https://online-go.com/tournament/13122

You were invited beacuse they wanted more people in their tournament, anyone can invite using the invite button on a tournament page before the tournamt has started.

I found out most of this infomation by either making conclusions from the tournaments that I have played in or looking it up.

Tournament type: this is the style of tournament, there are as far as I know 5, single elimination (lose once and you are out), double elimination (lose twice and you are out), swiss (for every win you get a point, in the next round people with one point pair up as do the people withno points, and so on for however many rounds there are), round robin (everyone plays everyone), mcmahorn (a type of swiss tournament where people get points at the start depending on their rank).

Initial pairing: slaughter is where the pairing is strongest with weakest, second strongest with second weakest and so on.

Number of rounds: the number of rounds it will take to get to the winner, it should be 6 in this case, not sure why it says 3.

The preliminary players allowed thing is it lets anyone on the site play, when you first started you had to play 5 ranked games before your account was no longer provisional.

Green players are those who won their games.

You wont get another game becuase it is single elimination, but if it were double elimination then you would have to wait untill all of the first round games are finnished before the second round starts.

Don’t worry about the stupid questions, wanting to know more is never wrong.

If anyone wants to correct me on anything then go ahead.

1 Like

Turniertyp

• Single Elimination

How does it work? What catagories are there otherwiese?

This is very straight forward, It means if you lose one game you are out of the tournament.

Players:

• 4 - 100

okay, this is clear

Yup.

Initiale Pairing

• Slaughter

???
How does it work?

Pairs weaker opponents with stronger opponents, EX: Pairs a 1dan with a 10k on purpose.

Nachfolgende Paarung (after Pairing?)

• Strength

I think I get it.

Yes after the first round, the rest of your opponents will be determined by strength it will try to pair you with someone near your level of skill.

Number of rounds

Do I have to play 3 times to each player? or does it mean i have to win 2 out 3? Or do I have only 3 rounds and then I am out for good (if I lost)?

Just look at this tournament for an example… Fight Club´s "Big Brawl" start: Dec, 7

Rules

• Japanese
    Brettgröße
  • 19x19
    Handicap
  • Automatic
    Analytics
  • allowed
    Strategic Moves
  • allowed
    Rank-restriction
  • none

this all i get it.

yup.

preliminary or temporary Players

• allowed

what ???

It doesn’t say that, it says Provisional players allowed. That means players who don’t have a confirmed ranked “A question mark next to their ranking” are still allowed to play in the tournament

Some more questions:

• I played already one game to one player (I lost), this player is now green for me.

Does it mean I don’t play with him again ? (what about the 3 rounds?)

The green highlight means that player has won there game.

There is another player he is green for me too, but I didn’t played him (I think), what does it mean?

How do I get the next challange?
Should I challange the players in the list with a right mouseclick or will the system pairing me automaticly? (When will the system do that?)

Since it’s single elimination, you’re done you are out of the tournament, The system will automatic pair opponents once all games have been finished and the next round will start.

Sorry for the probably stupid questions, but I couldn’t find the informations elsewhere (and I wont ask the tournament director, cause if it is that I am to stupid to find the informations, I woud be ashamed)

Even it is for you very clear, I simply dont know it.

1 Like

Hello!

In addition to all that has been said, you can find some information here:

http://senseis.xmp.net/?GroupPairing

Have fun!

3 Likes

Fantastic, now I know everthing what I am looked for. Thank you guys.
…and damn it, I am out, that explains a lot :DDD